CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. --- Chattanooga Mocs departing senior Stephan Jaeger (Munich, Germany) has a long list of records and keeps adding to his "onlys" as well. The Golf Coaches of America named Jaeger to the 2012 All-Nicklaus team Thursday.
The All-Nicklaus Team was created in 2008, and is not only named for history's greatest player but also a long-time supporter of collegiate and amateur golf. Jack Nicklaus, a Big Ten and NCAA Champion at The Ohio State University, helped inspire and create the Jack Nicklaus Awards in 1988. The Nicklaus Award is annually given to the top collegiate men's golfer in Divisions I, II, III, the NAIA and the NJCAA.
The All-Nicklaus team is comprised of Nathan Anderson of Texas Wesleyan, Jake Argento and Jimmy Kozikowski of South Mountain CC, Auburn's Blayne Barber, Trevor Blair of CSU-Stanislaus, TCU's Julien Brun, Clark Collier of Oklahoma City, Josh Creel of Central Oklahoma, Dylan Frittelli and Jordan Spieth of Texas, Chattanooga's Stephan Jaeger, Anthony Maccaglia of Oglethorpe, Guilford's Noah Ratner, Patrick Rodgers of Stanford, West Florida's Carlos Rodriguez, Joe Sakulpolphaisan of Darton CC, Chico State's Kyle Souza, Jake Sterling of Meridian CC, Nova Southeastern's Ben Taylor, Justin Thomas of Alabama, Cumberlands' Aaron Watkins, Chris Williams of Washington, Oregon's Eugene Wong and Derek Zachman of La Verne.
Jaeger's "onlys" include:
- All-Nicklaus Team in school history
- 1st team All-American in school history
- 4-time PING All-East Region selection in school history
- 3-time Southern Conference Golfer of the Year in league history
- Ben Hogan Award nominee in school history
He holds virtually every school record. The icing on the cake was his championship run to end the season.
Jaeger tied PGA Tour winner Brad Faxon's (Furman) record for largest margin of victory (11) at the SoCon Championship. He followed that setting the Mocs' 54-hole scoring mark shooting 13-under par 203 winning the NCAA Bowling Green Regional and topping five Top 20 amateurs in the R&A World Rankings including No. 1 Patrick Cantlay by 17 shots.
Nathan Anderson, Texas Wesleyan
Jake Argento, South Mountain CC
Blayne Barber, Auburn
Trevor Blair, CSU-Stanislaus
Julien Brun, TCU
Clark Collier, Oklahoma City
Josh Creel, Central Oklahoma
Dylan Frittelli, Texas
Stephan Jaeger, Chattanooga
Jimmy Kozikowski, South Mountain CC
Anthony Maccaglia, Oglethorpe
Noah Ratner, Guilford
Patrick Rodgers, Stanford
Carlos Rodriguez, West Florida
Joe Sakulpolphaisan, Darton College
Kyle Souza, Chico State
Jordan Spieth, Texas
Jake Sterling, Meridian CC
Ben Taylor, Nova Southeastern
Justin Thomas, Alabama
Aaron Watkins, Cumberlands
Chris Williams, Washington
Eugene Wong, Oregon
Derek Zachman, La Verne
OTHER GOLF NOTES:
- Incoming freshman Michael Monroe (Franklin, Tenn.) is in action at the prestigious 95th Western Junior Amateur at the Country Club of Florida. He was tied for fourth through 36 holes at minus two. Results here.
- Rising junior Davis Bunn (Knoxville, Tenn.) and incoming freshman Kory Webb (Knoxville, Tenn.) opened play at the Greystone Invitational today in Birmingham, Ala. Results can be found here.