Chattanooga Football Postgame Notes
No. 2 Georgia Southern at Chattanooga
Finley Stadium - Chattanooga, Tenn.
Saturday - Oct. 27, 2012
- Chattanooga falls to No. 2 Georgia Southern 39-31 triple overtime...the Mocs drop to 4-4 overall and 3-2 in the SoCon...Georgia Southern improves to 7-1 overall and 6-1 in league action.
- UTC is 4-22 all-time against Georgia Southern ... 3-10 at home and 2-6 in Finley Stadium.
- The Mocs gave up a season-high 372 rushing yards to the Eagles...it was actually below Georgia Southern's season-average 389.3 yards per game...GSU came into the game No. 2 in the nation in rushing yards.
- The last time UTC was in an OT game was a 45-38 win at Georgia Southern on Sept. 23, 2007.
- Sophomore Marquis Green lost a fumble on a kickoff return in the first quarter. It was the first turnover for the Mocs since the Appalachian State game on Sept. 22. The Mocs lost two fumbles on special teams tonight.
- After giving up a season-high 21 points in the first half, the Mocs held Georgia Southern to just three in the second half. Georgia Southern had just 114 yards of total offense in the second half.
- QB Jerick McKinnon ran for 141 yards and three TDs on 28 carries...it was the most yards and TDs the Mocs have allowed to an individual this season...the last time the Mocs allowed three TDs to an individual was to Taylor Martinez against Nebraska on Sept. 3, 2011.
- McKinnon's 40-yard pass to Zach Walker - who had an outstanding one-handed catch on the play - was the longest pass play the Mocs have allowed this season.
- Georgia Southern's 39 points and 427 yards of total offense were the most allowed by UTC this season.
- The Mocs' 31 points are the most allowed by Georgia Southern this season...the Eagles came into the game ranked No. 4 in the nation in scoring defense, allowing just 14.4 ppg.
- Jacob Huesman's 170 rushing yards are the most allowed to an individual by Georgia Southern this season...he also had the first multi-TD game against the Eagles in 2012.
Toyvian Brand (DL - So.)
- Career-high seven tackles.
Wes Dothard (LB - Jr.)
- Tied a career-high with a game-high-tying 15 tackles.
- Third game this season with 10+ tackles...eight of his career.
Shane Heatherly (LB - Sr.)
- Career-high nine tackles.
Jacob Huesman (QB - So.)
- Career-high 170 yards and two TDs on a career-high 26 carries.
- Second most rushing yards in a game by freshman in UTC history...James Roberts had 202 against ETSU on Oct. 14, 1989.
- Most rushing yards in a game by a UTC player since Bryan Fitzgerald had 181 at Presbyterian on Sept. 19, 2009.
- Huesman was also 11-20 for 102 yards and one TD.
- Second game this season with 100 yards passing and rushing.
- Caught one pass for 16 yards.
Russ Huesman (Head Coach - 4th Year)
- 21-20 overall...15-14 in the SoCon.
- 1-3 vs. Georgia Southern.
- 5-12 against ranked FCS opponents.
D.J. Key (DB - Jr.)
- 11 tackles and a PBU.
- Third game this season with 10+ tackles...seventh of his career.
Derrick Lott (DL - Jr.)
- Career-high and game-high-tying 15 tackles.
- Nine were solos.
Davis Tull (DE - So.)
- Career-high 12 tackles.
- Career-high and game-high 3.0 TFLs.
- Most TFLs by a Moc this season.