The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team dropped a 5-2 Southern Conference match at Davidson today. The Mocs fall to 6-4 overall and 1-1 in league action while the Wildcats improve to 7-3 and 1-0.
Davidson won the doubles point by taking two of three matches. After losing at No. 3, seniors Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) evened the doubles with an 8-6 win over Kevin Moore and Chris Mark at No. 2. Barroetavena and Tresnan improved to 6-2 in spring matches with their second-straight win.
Seniors Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) and Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) tried to clinch the 1-0 lead in a tight bout with Ethan Kallick and Joe Schafer at No. 1. Tied at 8-8, the match went to a tiebreaker with Davidson taking the final frame 7-5.
Today's contest was played on the four indoor courts of the Knobloch Tennis Center due to cold and windy conditions in Davidson, N.C. UTC needed to take at least two of the first four singles to keep the match alive.
Sophomore Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) quickly dropped his match at No. 5 to Mark (6-2, 6-0). After a tough loss in the first set, Vieira strained his leg in the second set of his No. 1 match against Nicky Kunz. He was unable to mount much of an effort the rest of the way, losing (7-5, 6-1).
Smith got UTC on the board with his (6-4, 6-2) win over Robert Lightbourn at No. 3. Davidson went on to clinch the match in a three-setter at No. 2. Barroetavena dropped that match (4-6, 6-2, 6-3) to Schafer.
With the team outcome decided, senior Ankit Chopra scored the Mocs other point with a (6-3, 6-3) win over Alex Howard at No. 6.
The Mocs next match is tomorrow at Gardner-Webb. First serve is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) in Boiling Springs, N.C.
Davidson 5, Chattanooga 2
Mar 06, 2013 at Davidson, N.C. (Knobloch Tennis Center)
1. Ethan Kallick/Joe Schafer (DAV) def. Chris Smith/Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 9-8 (7-5)
2. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Kevin Moore/Chris Mark (DAV) - 8-6 3. Robert Lightbourn/Nicky Kunz (DAV) def. Ankit Chopra/Stephen Crofford (UTC) - 8-2
1. Nicky Kunz (DAV) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 7-5, 6-1
2. Joe Schafer (DAV) def. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) - 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Chris Smith (UTC) def. Robert Lightbourn (DAV) - 6-4, 6-2
4. Chris Mark (DAV) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) - 6-2, 6-0
5. Connor Evins (DAV) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (11-9)
6. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Alex Howard (DAV) - 6-3, 6-3