The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 match at No. 18 Memphis Friday afternoon. The Mocs fall to 1-2 on the year while the nationally ranked Tigers improve to 2-1.
The Mocs had a tall task in singles as well, with Memphis fielding three ranked individuals in their lineup. Junior Pavels Grigorjevs jumped out to a 4-3 lead against No. 56 Joe Salisbury at No. 2. He was unable to close out the first set before losing the match (6-4, 6-1).
Saunders was the only Moc to go to three sets in singles play. He pushed No. 87 Johnny Grimal at No. 3 before falling (3-6, 6-3, 6-0).
Chattanooga stays on the road for its next dual, visiting Austin Peay on Saturday, Feb. 1 at 2:30 p.m. (E.S.T.). The next home match is Friday, Feb. 7, against Belmont at 5:00 p.m. at the Hixson Racquet Club.
No. 18 Memphis 7 – Chattanooga 0
Racquet Club of Memphis – Memphis, Tenn.
1. Joe Salisbury/David O'Leary (MEMPHIS) def. Jorge Varon/John Peacey (UTC) 6-1
2. Connor Glennon/Cedric De Zutter (MEMPHIS) def. Gino Delavalle/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 6-1
3. Johnny Grimal/Ian Chadwell (MEMPHIS) def. Luke Saunders/Austin Boaz (UTC) 6-2
1. #49 Connor Glennon (MEMPHIS) def. Jorge Varon (UTC) 6-3, 6-4
2. #56 Joe Salisbury (MEMPHIS) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 6-4, 6-1
3. #87 Johnny Grimal (MEMPHIS) def. Luke Saunders (UTC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
4. David O'Leary (MEMPHIS) def. Gino Delavalle (UTC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Ian Chadwell (MEMPHIS) def. Derrick Brown (UTC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Cedric De Zutter (MEMPHIS) def. John Peacey (UTC) 6-3, 6-2