The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team is back at home for matches against Belmont and Murray State this weekend. The Mocs host the Bruins on Friday, Feb. 7, and the Racers on Sunday, Feb. 9. Both matches take place at the Hixson Racquet Club.
Friday’s bout with Belmont starts at 5:00 p.m. (E.S.T.), while first serve on Sunday against Murray State is set for 10:00 a.m. Links for live scoring for both matches are available on the men’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
The Mocs enter the weekend looking to snap a two-match slide with a 1-3 overall record. Chattanooga has faced a tough schedule that includes losses to No. 50 MTSU, No. 18 Memphis and OVC Tournament Champion Austin Peay. The lone win was a 4-2 victory over OVC Regular Season Champion Tennessee Tech.
Belmont (0-3) is looking for its first win of the season, having lost to Vanderbilt, Illinois State and Bradley. Virginia Tech transfer Mauricio Antun leads the team with a 2-1 singles mark at No. 1.
The Mocs are 6-2 all-time against Belmont in a series that dates back to 1998. All eight matches have been played in Chattanooga, including non-conference affairs in each of the last five seasons. UTC has won three-straight, but the last two were by narrow 4-3 margins.
All-Time vs. Belmont – 6-2 Overall
W - 7-0 - Mar. 28, 1998 - Chattanooga
W - 4-0 - Mar. 21, 1999 - Chattanooga
W - 6-1 - Feb. 19, 2005 - Chattanooga
L - 1-6 - Feb. 7, 2009 - Chattanooga
L - 2-5 - Feb. 6, 2010 - Chattanooga
W - 7-0 - Feb. 25, 2011 - Chattanooga
W - 4-3 - Feb. 10, 2012 - Chattanooga
W - 4-3 - Jan. 27, 2013 – Chattanooga
Senior Manuel Barroetavena was down a set and 3-0 in the second in the final match of last year’s meeting on Jan. 27. He went on to defeat Fernando Mussolini (4-6, 6-3, 6-4) to clinch the team win.
Last Time vs. Belmont
Chattanooga 4, Belmont 3
Jan. 27, 2013 – Hixson Racquet Club
1. Chris Smith/Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Renato Antun/Navarro Veys (BEL) - 8-3
2. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Fernando Mussolini/Henrique Norbiato (BEL) - 8-3
3. Stephen Crofford/John Peacey (UTC) vs. Bruno Silva/Henrik Claesson (BEL) - 4-7, unfinished
1. Henrique Norbiato (BEL) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 6-2, 6-3
2. Renato Antun (BEL) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 6-3, 6-4
3. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Fernando Mussolini (BEL) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Navarro Veys (BEL) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) - 7-5, 6-3
5. Luke Saunders (UTC) def. Bruno Silva (BEL) - 6-3, 6-3
6. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Hans Nardelli (BEL) - 6-0, 6-0
Murray State is also 0-3 to start the season. Like the Mocs and Bruins, the Racers have played some tough non-conference competition, including Louisville, No. 8 Tennessee and Memphis. Murray State’s roster does have at least one Chattanooga connection in freshman Mateo Barroetavena. He is the younger brother of former Moc Manuel Barroetavena.
Chattanooga is 8-0 all-time against Murray State in a series that has been tested in eight of the last nine seasons. The last time the Racers visited Chattanooga was a 6-1 win for the Mocs on March 10, 2011.
All-Time vs. Murray State – 8-0 Overall
W - 7-0 - Feb. 12, 2005 - Paducah, KY
W - 6-1 - Feb. 22, 2006 - Chattanooga
W - 4-3 - Feb. 17, 2007 - Murray, K.Y.
W - 7-0 - Feb. 22, 2008 - Chattanooga
W - 6-1 - Feb. 20, 2010 - Murray, K.Y.
W - 6-1 - Mar. 10, 2011 - Chattanooga
W - 7-0 - Jan. 27, 2012 - Murray, K.Y.
W - 7-0 - Feb. 10, 2013 - Murray, K.Y.
Junior Pavels Grigorjevs scored a singles win at No. 4 in last year’s match against Murray State. Delavalle and Peacy also had a doubles victory at No. 3 in the match.
Last Time vs. Murray State
Chattanooga 6, Murray State 1
Feb 10, 2013 at Murray, Ky. (Kenlake Tennis Center)
1. Adam Taylor/Ryan Kennedy (MSU) def. Jackson Tresnan/Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) - 8-7
2. Roberto Vieira/Stephen Crofford (UTC) def. Joao Camara/Tyler Jeffers (MSU) - 8-2
3. Gino Delavalle/John Peacey (UTC) def. Nicholas Mitric/Max McLean (MSU) - 8-6
1. Adam Taylor (MSU) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Tyler Jeffers (MSU) - 6-1, 6-2
3. Chris Smith (UTC) def. Joao Camara (MSU) - 0-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Max McLean (MSU) - 6-4, 6-4
5. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Ryan Kennedy (MSU) - 6-3, 6-2
6. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Nicholas Mitric (MSU) - 6-1, 6-2