Story by Adam Stephens
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team dropped its Southern Conference match against Wofford today 5-2. Chattanooga falls to 5-9 overall and 1-4 in the SoCon.
Due to rain, Chattanooga was forced to move the site of the match to the Baylor School indoor tennis facility.
The Mocs were unable to capture the doubles point but showed signs of life coming back to only lose by a small margin.
“It was a great match,” head coach Carlos Garcia said. “I’m proud of how our guys fought back.”
Unfortunately, the Mocs were unable to get enough traction to put them over the top in singles competition.
Sophomores Gino Delavalle and Luke Saunders were able to find the strength to overcome their opponents and walk away with two points for Chattanooga. This win for Gino Delavalle marks his fifth straight victory, overcoming his Wofford opponent 6-7, 6-3, 6-3.
“I studied the lineups and I felt like those were good matchups for us,” Garcia said.
Chattanooga closes out the weekend against Furman tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. at the UTC Tennis Courts. A link for live scoring is available on the men’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 2, Wofford 5
Mar 23, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Baylor)
1. Rob Galloway/Haris Poric (Wofford) def. Jorge Varon/John Peacey (UTC) 8-4
2. Walker Heffron/Parks Thompson (Wofford) def. Luke Saunders/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 8-7 (4)
3. David Sklar/Jackson Keith (Wofford) def. Austin Boaz/Derrick Brown (UTC) 8-6
1. Rob Galloway (Wofford) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 0-6, 6-2, 3-6
5. Parks Thompson (Wofford) def. Austin Boaz (UTC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Graham Duncan (Wofford) def. Derrick Brown (UTC) 6-7, 1-6