Chattanooga narrowly missed its first win of the season yesterday in a one-point loss at Austin Peay. The dual went down to a tiebreaker in the final match, so UTC head coach Carlos Garcia knew his squad was getting close.
The Mocs started off today's match by winning the doubles point for the second straight outing. The Racers won the No. 3 doubles bout, but sophomore Sam Parfitt and freshman Ryan Pool evened things out with an 8-4 win in the top match. It was their third straight doubles win as they improved to 3-2 as a pair.
Singles action started with freshman Chris Smith defeating Domoney (6-0, 6-3) in the No. 3 match. Smith's win was his first in singles action this spring, snapping a five-match slide. He is 6-9 in singles on the season and is still tied for the team lead in wins.
Vieira put the Mocs up 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Milicevic at No. 3. Freshman William Disterdick sealed the victory with his 6-2, 6-2 win over Mason Johnson at No. 6. Freshmen Jackson Tresnan and Ryan Pool rounded out Chattanooga's scoring with their singles wins at No. 5 and No. 1, respectively.
The Mocs next travel to Jacksonville State on Feb. 24 for a 3:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) match. Chattanooga will be back at home on Feb. 27 when they open Southern Conference action against the College of Charleston at 1:00 p.m.
Chattanooga 6 - Murray State 1
1. Sam Parfitt/Ryan Pool (UTC) def. Joe Berdado/Ben Clos (MSU) - 8-4
2. Roberto Vieira/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Renaldo Domoney/Luka Milicevic (MSU) - 8-4
3. Jorge Caetano/Jadir Semensin (MSU) def. Stephen Crofford/Rick vande Bovenkamp (UTC) - 8-4
1. Ryan Pool (UTC) def. Ben Clos (MSU) - 6-2, 6-3
2. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Luka Milicevic (MSU) - 6-2, 6-2
3. Chris Smith (UTC) def. Renaldo Domoney (MSU) - 6-0, 6-3
4. Jorge Caetano (MSU) def. Sam Parfitt (UTC) - 6-1, 6-7, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Joe Berdado (MSU) - 1-6, 6-2, 1-0 (11-9)
6. William Disterdick (UTC) def. Mason Johnson (MSU) - 6-2, 6-2