The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team is set to open Southern Conference action this weekend against the College of Charleston. The match with the Cougars will be on Saturday, Feb. 27, at 1:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) on the UTC Tennis Courts. Live scoring for the match will be available on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga is 1-5 on the year and continues to show signs of improvement each time out. The Mocs have steadily increased their scoring each match this spring and finally broke into the win column with a 6-1 victory at Murray State.
Freshman Ryan Pool won the No. 1 singles match and teamed with sophomore Sam Parfitt to take the top doubles bout. The victory over the Racers snapped a 17-match losing streak for the Mocs, dating back to last season.
Head coach Carlos Garcia, who is in his ninth year of guiding the men's tennis program, has one of the youngest teams in his career. The roster does not include any seniors and just four juniors.
UTC had at least four freshmen in the line-up for its first four matches. Chattanooga took to the courts with five freshmen and one sophomore in its last outing against Murray State.
Pool and fellow freshman Chris Smith (No. 3) lead the Mocs with six singles wins each. Pool has played in the No. 1 spot for five of the six matches this spring, while freshman Roberto Vieira is holding down the No. 2 position. Freshman William Disterdick got his first win of the spring in the No. 6 match against MSU.
The Cougars are 2-2 on the year after dropping their last outing to North Florida 6-1. Sophomore Tom Delme was the only Charleston player to log a singles win. He also teamed with junior Lukas Koncilia for a doubles victory. The pair is currently 4-0 in dual match doubles action this spring.
The Mocs are looking to snap a 10-match slide in SoCon action when they take on the Cougars. Their last win in conference play was a 4-3 victory over Georgia Southern on April 6, 2008.
Probable Singles Line-up*
1. Ryan Pool - Fr. - 6-8 (UTC) | Lukas Koncilia - Jr. - 3-3 (COFC)
2. Roberto Vieira - Fr. - 5-3 (UTC) | Mickael Trintignac - So. - 2-4 (COFC)
3. Chris Smith - Fr. - 6-8 (UTC) | Tom Delme - So. - 4-2 (COFC)
4. Sam Parfitt - Fr. - 4-7 (UTC) | Mickael Boyer - Jr. - 2-4 (COFC)
5. Jackson Tresnan - Fr. - 4-5 (UTC) | Joe Nicolazzi - Sr. - 2-3 (COFC)
6. William Disterdick - Fr. - 2-5 (UTC) | John Harden - So. - 2-4 (COFC)
Probable Doubles Line-up*
1. Pool-Parfitt - 3-2 (UTC) - Koncilia-Delme - 4-0 - (COFC)
2. Vieira-Tresnan - 2-3 (UTC) - Trintignac-Harden - 1-1 - (COFC)
3. Stephen Crofford-Rick van de Bovenkamp - 2-2 (UTC) - Myers-Kenny - 1-1 (COFC)
* Based on each team's last match.