The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 match in its Southern Conference opener against the College of Charleston today. With the loss, the Mocs drop to 1-6 on the year and 0-1 in SoCon action. The Cougars improve to 3-2 and 1-0 in the SoCon.
The Cougars took the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3. However, UTC's freshman duo of Jackson Tresnan and Roberto Vieira took the No. 2 doubles bout. They posted an 8-4 win over Billy Kenny and Steven Myers. It was the second straight doubles win for Tresnan and Vieira as they evened their season record at 3-3.
The Cougars put the dual match away quickly with three, straight-set wins at No. 4, No. 6 and No. 3. Charleston went up 5-0 after Mickael Trintignac defeated Roberto Vieira 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 2 match.
Tresnan continued his solid day and helped the Mocs avoid the shutout with a three-set win at No. 5. He won the first set 7-5 over Joe Nicolazzi before falling in the second 6-2. The pair played a super-tiebreaker to decide the match with Tresnan winning 11-9. It was his third singles win in a row. He is now 5-5 this season and 3-3 in dual match action.
The Mocs hit the road for a four-game swing beginning next week at Jacksonville State. Chattanooga takes on the Gamecocks in a doubleheader with the women's teams on Wednesday, March 3, at 3:00 p.m. (E.S.T.). UTC will be back at home on Wednesday, March 24 when the men and women host Lee University at the Champions Club at 2:00 p.m. (E.S.T.).
College of Charleston 6, Chattanooga 1
1. Tom Delme/Lukas Koncilia (COFC) def. Sam Parfitt/Ryan Pool (UTC) - 8-2
2. Jackson Tresnan/Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Billy Kenny/Steven Myers (COFC) - 8-4
3. John Harden/Mickael Trintignac (COFC) def. William Disterdick/Chris Smith (UTC) - 8-4
1. Lukas Koncilia (COFC) def. Ryan Pool (UTC) - 6-4, 6-3
2. Mickael Trintignac (COFC) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 6-1, 6-2
3. Tom Delme (COFC) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 6-2, 6-3
4. Mickael Boyer (COFC) def. Sam Parfitt (UTC) - 6-0, 6-2
5. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Joe Nicolazzi (COFC) - 7-5, 2-6, 1-0 (11-9)
6. John Harden (COFC) def. William Disterdick (UTC) 6-1, 6-4