The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team hits the road for the first two legs of a four-match trip this week. The Mocs visit Jacksonville State on Wednesday, March 3, and UNC Greensboro on Friday, March 5.
Action against the Gamecocks begins at 2:30 p.m. (E.S.T.) as a part of a doubleheader with the women's teams. The Mocs will face the Spartans at 1:00 p.m. on Friday.
Chattanooga is 1-6 on the year and 0-1 in Southern Conference action. Freshman Jackson Tresnan was impressive in his last time out against the College of Charleston. He teamed with fellow freshman Roberto Vieira to win their No. 2 doubles match. Tresnan then scored the Mocs' lone point in the 6-1 loss by winning the No. 5 singles contest.
Head coach Carlos Garcia, who is in his ninth year of guiding the men's tennis program, has one of the youngest teams in his career. The roster does not include any seniors and just four juniors. UTC is consistently playing with five freshmen and one sophomore in the lineup.
Freshmen Ryan Pool and Chris Smith (No. 3) lead the Mocs with six singles wins each. Pool has played the No. 1 spot for six of the seven matches this spring, while Vieira is holding down the No. 2 position. Freshman William Disterdick got his first win of the spring in the No. 6 match against Murray State.
Jacksonville State is also 1-6 on the year, falling to No. 8 Kentucky (6-1) on Sunday. Nenad Marcec leads the team with a 4-3 singles record at No. 4. The Gamecocks lone win of the season was a 7-0 victory over Alabama State on Feb. 23.
The Mocs are looking to snap an 11-match slide in SoCon action when they take on UNC Greensboro this weekend. Their last win in conference play was a 4-3 victory over Georgia Southern on April 6, 2008.
The Spartans are 6-1 on the year and on a four-match winning streak. They are led by sophomore Orcun Seyrek who is the reigning SoCon Player of the Year. He is currently 14-4 on the season, playing the No. 1 spot for the Spartans. Freshman Timion Meijs also has 14 wins this season. He is filling the No. 5 slot in singles competition.
Probable Singles Line-up*
1. Ryan Pool - Fr. - 6-9 (UTC) | Axel Sunberg - Fr. - 3-4 (JSU) | Orcun Seyrek - So. - 14-4 (UNCG)
2. Roberto Vieira - Fr. - 5-4 (UTC) | Holz Gustavo - Jr. - 1-5 (JSU) | Arsel Kumdereli - Sr. - 10-5 (UNCG)
3. Chris Smith - Fr. - 6-10 (UTC) | Nenad Marcec - Fr. - 4-3 (JSU) | Yaroslav Litus - Jr. - 12-5 (UNCG)
4. Sam Parfitt - Fr. - 4-8 (UTC) | Chris Duke - Sr. - 1-5 (JSU) | Timion Meijs - Fr. - 14-4 (UNCG)
5. Jackson Tresnan - Fr. - 5-5 (UTC) | Igor Santos - Fr. - 1-4 (JSU) | Kyle Eddins - Sr. - 8-2 (UNCG)
6. William Disterdick - Fr. - 2-6 (UTC) | Felipe Wantanbe - Fr. - 1-4 (JSU) | William John - Sr. - 6-8 (UNCG)
Probable Doubles Line-up*
1. Pool-Parfitt - 3-3 (UTC) - Duke-Sunberg - 2-4 (JSU) | Seyrek-Kumbereli - 7-4 (UNCG)
2. Vieira-Tresnan - 3-3 (UTC) - Marcec-Holz - 0-1 (JSU) | Litus-John - 1-0 (UNCG)
3. Smith-Disterdick - 0-2 (UTC) - Wantanbe-Thomas Bellman Jr. - 0-1 (JSU) | Meijs-Eddins - 2-1 (UNCG)
* Based on each team's last match.