The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team dropped a 4-3 match at Jacksonville State today. The Mocs scored three singles wins in the event, but were unable to log their second team win of the season. UTC falls to 1-7 on the year while the Gamecocks improve to 2-6.
Jacksonville State took the doubles point with a win in the No. 1 and No. 3 matches. Freshman Roberto Vieira evened the score at 1-1 with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Axel Sundberg in the No. 1 match. It was Vieira's first win in the top spot for the Mocs as he improves to 6-4 on the year and 4-4 in dual match singles action.
Freshman Chris Smith gave the Mocs a 2-1 lead with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 win over Gustavo Holz at No. 2. Smith had a team-high seven singles wins on the year. Chattanooga was unable to hold on to the lead as JSU took the next three singles matches to secure the win. Freshman Stephen Crofford rounded out UTC's scoring with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-2 win at No. 6.
Chattanooga remains on the road this week, traveling to UNC Greensboro on Friday, March 5. Match time with the Spartans is set for 1:00 p.m. (E.S.T.).
1. DUKE, Chris/SUNBERG, Axel (JSU) def. Ryan Pool/Sam Parfitt (UTC) 8-4
2. HOLZ, Gustavo/MARCEC, Nenad (JSU) vs. Roberto Vieira/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) unfinished
3. WATANABE, Felipe/SANTOS, Igor (JSU) def. Stephen Crofford/Chris Smith (UTC) 8-6
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. SUNBERG, Axel (JSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Chris Smith (UTC) def. HOLZ, Gustavo (JSU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
3. MARCEC, Nenad (JSU) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) 6-3, 6-4
4. DUKE, Chris (JSU) def. Sam Parfitt (UTC) 7-5, 6-3
5. SANTOS, Igor (JSU) def. William Disterdick (UTC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
6. Stephen Crofford (UTC) def. WATANABE, Felipe (JSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1