Both matches are slated for a 1:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) start time. Live scoring will be available for Sunday's match with the Phoenix.
The Mocs are 1-8 on the year and 0-2 in SoCon action. Head coach Carlos Garcia, who is in his ninth year of guiding the men's tennis program, has one of the youngest teams in his career. The roster does not include any seniors and just four juniors. UTC is consistently playing with five freshmen and one sophomore in the lineup.
The Mocs have been close in most of their duals up to this point in the season. UTC has twice lost the deciding match in a 4-3 defeat. Garcia is still looking for the right combination that can turn those close losses into confidence-building wins.
Freshman Chris Smith is currently leading the way with an 8-10 singles record. He has won his last two contests and has played in the 2, 3, and 4 spots this spring.
Freshmen Ryan Pool holds down the No. 1 position and is 6-10 on the year. Fellow freshman Roberto Vieira has been solid at No. 2 in the spring. He leads the Mocs with a 4-5 record in dual match action. Vieira has also been teaming with fellow freshman Jackson Tresnan at No. 2 doubles. Their three wins as a pair are tied for the team lead.
The Mocs are looking to snap an 11-match slide in SoCon action when they hit the courts this weekend. Their last win in conference play was a 4-3 victory over Georgia Southern on April 6, 2008.
Davidson is 6-3 on the season and 0-1 in SoCon action. The Wildcats travel to Winthrop on Thursday, March 11 before hosting UTC on Saturday. Davidson's top-6 players have only dropped six singles matches in dual action this spring. Freshman Chris Mark leads the way with an 8-1 record at No. 3.
Elon is 2-8 on the year and 1-0 in SoCon action. The Phoenix hosts Samford on Saturday, March 13, before UTC comes to town on Sunday. Junior Chase Helpingstine's 6-4 singles record at No. 2 is the best on the squad. He has won his last three singles matches heading into the weekend.
Probable Singles Line-up*
1. Ryan Pool - Fr. - 6-10 (UTC) | Joe Schafer - Fr. - 6-1 (DAV) | Philip Nemec - So. - 4-9 (ELON)
2. Roberto Vieira - Fr. - 6-4 (UTC) | Walker Lyons - Jr. - 5-2 (DAV) | Chase Helpingstine - Jr. - 6-7 (ELON)
3. Chris Smith - Fr. - 8-10 (UTC) | Chris Mark - Fr. - 8-1 (DAV) | Eric Turner - So. - 2-10 (ELON)
4. Jackson Tresnan - Fr. - 5-7 (UTC) | Calum Gee - So. - 6-1 (DAV) | Alberto Rojas - Jr. - 4-9 (ELON)
5. Sam Parfitt - So. - 4-10 (UTC) | Sam Burns - Sr. - 5-1 (DAV) | Cody Stauffer-MacDowell - Jr. - 1-6 (ELON)
6. William Disterdick - Fr. - 3-7 (UTC) | Arie Hefter - Jr. - 1-0 (DAV) | Carlos Arboleda - Fr. - 2-10 (ELON)
Probable Doubles Line-up*
1. Crofford-Smith - 0-4 (UTC) - Eric Noble (Sr.)-Schafer - 4-2 (DAV) | Helpingstine-Rojas - 3-2 (ELON)
2. Tresnan-Vieira - 3-4 (UTC) - Gee-Lyons - 7-1 (DAV) | Nemec-Stauffer-MacDowell - 2-3 (ELON)
3. Disterdick-Pool - 3-2 (UTC) - Burns-Mark - 6-3 (DAV) | Clark Howell (Sr.)-Thomas Darling (Fr.) - 0-4 (ELON)
* Based on each team's last match.