The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team posted a 7-0 win over Lee University at the Champions Club in Chattanooga today. The Mocs snapped a five-match losing streak to post their second win of the season today (2-10, 0-4 SoCon). Lee falls to 4-3 with the loss.
The match began with singles play as Chattanooga took all six matches. Freshman Roberto Vieira made quick work of Tyler Jeffers 6-1, 6-2 at No. 2 to start the day. Fellow freshman Chris Smith posted his team-leading ninth singles win of the year with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Renan Molinero at No. 3.
Sophomore Sam Parfitt broke a personal seven-match losing streak in singles play with his 6-1, 6-1 win over Marco Martinelli at No. 4. Junior Rick van de Bovenkamp also got his first win in six tries with a 6-2, 6-3 win against Fabio Median at No. 6. Freshman Ryan Pool (No. 1) and William Disterdick (No. 5) also posted singles wins today.
Junior Gordon Ruddell and van de Bovenkamp teamed up for the first time this spring to post an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles. Juniors Matt Harris and Tyler Pullen also saw their first action of the season in an 8-6 loss at No. 3. Pool and Vieira had an 8-2 win at No. 1.
Chattanooga hosts a pair of Southern Conference foes this weekend. UTC welcomes Wofford on Saturday, March 27, followed by Furman on Sunday. Both matches are set for 2:30 p.m. (E.D.T.) at the UTC Tennis Courts. Live scoring will be available on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 7, Lee 0
1. Ryan Pool/Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Tyler Jeffers/Michael Yokosuk (LEE) - 8-2
2. Gordon Rudell/R. van de Bovenkamp (UTC) def. Fabio Medina/Renan Molinero (LEE) - 8-5
3. Marco Martinelli/Zach Smith (LEE) def. Matt Harris/Tyler Pullen (UTC) - 8-6
1. Ryan Pool (UTC) def. Michael Yokosuk (LEE) - 6-4, 6-1
2. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Tyler Jeffers (LEE) - 6-1, 6-2
3. Chris Smith (UTC) def. Renan Molinero (LEE) - 6-4, 6-0
4. Sam Parfitt (UTC) def. Marco Martinelli (LEE) - 6-1, 6-1
5. William Disterdick (UTC) def. Zach Smith (LEE) - 6-3, 6-3
6. R. van de Bovenkamp (UTC) def. Fabio Medina (LEE) - 6-2, 6-3