Memphis swept the doubles point to go up 1-0 in the match. Freshman Roberto Vieira spanked Jordan Smith 6-1, 6-0 at No. 1 to tie the score at 1-1. It is Vieira's fourth straight win and the sixth in his last seven matches. He leads the team with a 12-7 mark in singles play this season.
The Tigers closed out the match with three straight wins, but Chattanooga did score a victory at No. 4. Freshman Jackson Tresnan defeated Michael Janz, 6-7, 6-1, 6-0. It was Tresnan's second win of the week as he improves to 7-12 on the year.
"We fought really hard today and played a very close match with a good team," stated head coach Carlos Garcia. "We had close losses at No. 2, 3 and 5. If we can turn two of those around, we win 4-3. Regardless, I am proud of the way my team played. They have shown a lot of fire in the last few weeks of the season."
The Mocs return to the UTC Tennis Courts on Tuesday, April 13 for the final home match of the season. Chattanooga hosts Tennessee-Wesleyan at 2:30 p.m. Live scoring will be available on GoMocs.com.
Memphis 5, Chattanooga 2
1. David Henry/Jordan Smith (MEM) def. Ryan Pool/Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 7-6 (7-5)
2. Michael Janz/John Taylor (MEM) def. William Disterdick/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 8-2
3. Spencer Heflin/Charlie Ramsay (MEM) def. Stephen Crofford/Chris Smith (UTC) - 8-4
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Jordan Smith (MEM) - 6-1, 6-0
2. David Henry (MEM) def. Ryan Pool (UTC) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Charlie Ramsay (MEM) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 7-6, 7-6
4. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Michael Janz (MEM) - 6-7, 6-1, 6-0
5. John Taylor (MEM) def. William Disterdick (UTC) - 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
6. M. Gaerthoeffner (MEM) def. Stephen Crofford (UTC) - 6-2, 6-1