CHARLESTON, S.C. --- Senior Pavel Vostrikov netted the Mocs lone win Wednesday afternoon as the UTC men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to The Citadel in Southern Conference action at the Earle Tennis Center in Charleston, S.C.
Vostrikov defeated Michael Kociecki 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 at the No. 2 position in the Mocs only win in singles.
Vostrikov and duos partner senior Peter Sauska rallied in a tiebreaker to take the No. 1 doubles match 9-8. However, the Bulldogs collected the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3.
Sauska pushed his No. 1 singles match to three sets after winning the first 6-4 against Yufo Sutantio. Sutantio won the second match 7-6 then won the tiebreaker 10-8.
The Bulldogs improve to 10-8 overall and 1-0 in their SoCon opener while the Mocs fall to 1-10 and 0-4 in league play.
The Citadel 6,
Mar 11, 2009 at
1. Yufo Sutantio (CIT) def. Peter Sauska (UTC) 4-6, 7-6, 10-8
2. Pavel Vostrikov (UTC) def. Michael Kociecki (CIT) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0
3. Alberto Diaz (CIT) def. Alex Butnarcuic (UTC) 7-5, 6-1
4. Martin King (CIT) def. Rick van de Bovenkamp (UTC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Derek Dickey (CIT) def. Dakota Pate (UTC) 6-4, 6-1
6. Tripp Larkin (CIT) def. Gordon Rudell (UTC) 6-0, 6-3
1. Peter Peter Sauska/Pavel Vostrikov (UTC) def. Yufo Sutantio/Micahel Kociecki (CIT) 9-8
2. Alberto Diaz/Derek Dickey (CIT) def. Rick van de Bovenkamp/Dakota Pate (UTC) 8-3
3. Martin King/Joshua Cook (CIT) def. Alexandru Butnarcuic/Sam Parfitt (UTC) 8-5
The Citadel 6-3, 1-0 SoCon