CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. --- The Chattanooga men’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 heart breaker to Georgia Southern in the Southern Conference season finale for both teams.
After falling behind 3-0, the Mocs rallied to win the next two matches before the Eagles’ Edio Castanhel won his No. 6 match to clinch the win.
The Eagles swept the doubles point, but not without some effort on the part of the Mocs. Gregory Bekkers and Philip Prins won handily over van de Bovenkamp and Gordon Rudell at No. 3 by an 8-2 margin. At No. 2, the Mocs duo Alex Butnarcuic and Dakota Pate battled it out with Justin Flynn and Jayraj Jadeja but the Eagles would prevail to claim the match 9-7. GSU’s Joris De Weerdt and Matthew Sands outlasted the Mocs seniors Peter Sauska and Pavel Vostrikov 8-7(7) in a two-hour duel on Senior Day.
Georgia Southern quickly gained a 3-0 advantage immediately winning a pair of singles matches. Flynn blanked UTC’s Sam Parfitt 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 5 spot and Jadeja posted a 6-3, 6-1 win over Butnarcuic at No. 3.
Vostrikov, however, would put the Mocs on the board with a 7-5, 7-5 win at the No. 2 spot over Bekkers and Sauska followed that up with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 1 over De Weerdt to cut the Eagles’ lead to 3-2.
Castanhel outlasted UTC’s van de Bovenkamp at No. 6 and got the victory for the Eagles with a 7-6, 6-4 win. Chattanooga’s Pate fell behind early at No. 4, dropping the first set 7-6(4) to Alain Garrido but would mount a comeback to claim the next two sets 6-4, 6-0.
The Mocs fall to 2-17 on the year and 0-10 in league play and will be the 11 seed this week at the Southern Conference championships in Elon, N.C. The Eagles improve to 9-8-1 overall and 5-4-1 in league play. The Southern Conference Championships will begin Thursday, April 23 in Elon, N.C.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Southern vs Chattanooga
Apr 18, 2009 at Chattanooga, Tenn.
Georgia Southern 4, Chattanooga 3
1. Peter Sauska (UTC-M) def. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Pavel Vostrikov (UTC-M) def. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 7-5, 7-5
3. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) def. Alex Butnarcuic (UTC-M) 6-3, 6-1
4. Dakota Pate (UTC-M) def. Alain Garrido (GSU) 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 6-0
5. Justin Flynn (GSU) def. Sam Parfitt (UTC-M) 6-0, 6-0
6. Edio Castanhel (GSU) def. R. van de Bovenkamp (UTC-M) 7-6, 6-4
1. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU) def. Peter Sauska/Pavel Vostrikov (UTC-M) 8-7
2. Justin Flynn/Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) def. Alex Butnarcuic/Dakota Pate (UTC-M) 9-7
3. Gregory Bekkers/Philip Prins (GSU) def. Gordon Rudell/R. van de Bovenkamp (UTC-M) 8-2
Georgia Southern 9-8, 5-4 SoCon
Chattanooga 2-17, 0-10 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,3,2,1,6,4)