After dropping the first set 6-3 at No. 4 singles, Mittiga staged a strong comeback, knocking out Jacobs by winning the next two sets, 6-0, 6-3. Mittiga’s victory provided the Mocs with the fourth and deciding team point.
The Mountaineers took two of the three doubles matches to grab an early 1-0 lead and score their only team point of the match.
UTC’s Razvan Axente tied the score with his 6-3, 6-2 win over Lee Floyd at No. 5 singles. The Mocs took the lead for good with a victory at No. 3 singles. Peter Sauska halted Dimitar Dimitrov’s 12-match win streak with a 6-3, 6-4 win.
Badr Bouabdellah provided UTC’s third point with a win at No. 1 singles, dispatching Trent Constance, 6-0, 7-6
UTC improves to 17-6 on the season and has won six SoCon Tournament matches in the last three years. The Mocs advance to the semifinals for the second consecutive season and take on top-seeded Elon Saturday at 1 p.m. Elon was a 4-1 winner over Davidson.
Chattanooga men 4, Appalachian State 1
Southern Conference Tennis Championships - Quarterfinals
Doubles (for one team point)
1. Brookshaw-Dimitrov (ASU) def. Fynn-Mittiga (UTC), 9-7
2. Constance-Jacobs (ASU) def. Axente-Bouabdellah (UTC), 8-4
3. Hangstefer-Sauska (UTC) def. Doverspike-Floyd (ASU), 8-2
1. Badr Bouabdellah (UTC) def. Trent Constance (ASU), 6-0, 7-6
2. Mark Fynn (UTC) vs. Ryan Brookshaw (ASU), DNF
3. Peter Sauska (UTC) def. Dimitar Dimitrov (ASU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Tim Mittiga (UTC) def. Peter Jacobs (ASU), 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
5. Razvan Axente (UTC) def. Lee Floyd (ASU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Michael Hangstefer (UTC) vs. David Doverspike (ASU), DNF
Team Records: UTC (17-6), Appalachian State (13-9)