The match was a back-and forth affair with the Mocs taking the lead with wins at the top two positions. Badr Bouabdellah and Mark Fynn earned wins and helped the Mocs regain the lead after Appalachian State won the doubles point.
Dimita Dimitrov snapped Peter Sauska’s 11-match win streak at the No. 3 position. After Peter Jacobs defeated Razvan Axente at the No. 4 spot, the Mountaineers held a 3-2 advantage with two matches remaining.
Tim Mittiga won in two sets at the No. 5 position, to tie the match. Pavel Vostrikov won the first set in the deciding match, but Appalachian’s David Doverspike won the next two to claim the win for the Mountaineers.
The loss dropped the Mocs to 12-4 overall and 3-2 in SoCon play. Appalachian improves to 8-5 and 3-1 in league play.
Appalachian State 4, Chattanooga 3
Doubles (for one team point)
1. Brookshaw/Dimitrov (ASU) def. Fynn/Mittiga (UTC) 8-3
2. Constance/Jacobs (ASU) def. Axente/Bouabdellah (UTC) 8-4
3. Floyd/Doverspike (ASU) def. Hangstefer/Sauska (UTC) 8-4
1. Bouabdellah (UTC) def. Constance (ASU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Fynn (UTC) def. Brookshaw (ASU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
3. Dimitrov (ASU) def. Sauska (UTC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Jacobs (ASU) def. Axente (UTC) 7-5, 6-1
5. Mittiga (UTC) def. Floyd (ASU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Doverspike (ASU) def. Vostrikov (UTC) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
Team Records: UTC (12-4, 3-2), Appalachian State (8-5, 3-1)