The Mocs won two of the three doubles matches and five of six singles matches to claim the win.
Mercer’s Tobias Ohrstrom defeated Mark Fynn in three sets, 3-6, 7-5, 10-7 for the lone singles win for the Bears. Fynn, playing in the top position for the second time this season, had won eight of his last nine matches while playing in the No. 2 spot.
Badr Bouabdellah, Peter Sauska, Razvan Axente, Tim Mittiga and Michael Hangstefer all claimed singles wins for the Mocs. Bouabdellahs win was his first at No. 2 position after playing all season at the No. 1 spot.
Mercer won the opening match in doubles play with the tandem of Ohrstrom and Patrick Russo defeating Fynn and Mittiga, 8-5. Wins by Axente and Bouabdellah at No. 2 as well as Hangstefer and Sauska at No. 3 rallied the Mocs to claim the doubles point.
Chattanooga will return to Southern Conference play tomorrow, hosting Georgia Southern at Noon.
Chattanooga men 6, Mercer 1
UTC Tennis Complex
Doubles (for one team point)
1. Ohrstrom-Russo (MER) def. Fynn-Mittiga (UTC), 8-5
2. Bouabdellah-Axente (UTC) def. Starr-Poleon (MER), 8-3
3. Hangstefer-Sauska (UTC) def. Gil-Mitchell (MER), 8-4
1. Tobias Ohrstrom (MER) def. Mark Fynn (UTC) 3-6, 7-5, 10-7
2. Badr Bouabdellah (UTC), def. Patrick Russo (MER), 6-4, 6-0
3. Peter Sauska (UTC) def. Mario Gil (MER), 6-0, 3-0 (retired)
4. Tim Mittiga (UTC) def. Nathan Starr (MER), 6-3, 6-2
5. Razvan Axente (UTC) def. Matthew Poleon (MER), 6-1, 6-1
6. Michael Hangstefer (UTC) def. Chapman Mitchell (MER), 6-2, 7-5
Team Records: UTC (14-5, 4-3 SoCon), Mercer (5-12, 2-5 A-Sun)