Hangstefer won the first set of the deciding match 6-2 over Diego Pazsoldan, but dropped the second set 6-4 before claiming the winning set 6-3.
Jacksonville State, who has already clinched the regular season Ohio Valley Conference title, sprinted to a 3-0 lead by claiming the doubles point and with quick wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 singles matches.
The Mocs rallied with singles wins by Badr Bouabdellah, Tim Mittiga, and Razvan Axente before Hangstefer’s clinching win.
Hangstefer’s win was his third straight since working his way back into the lineup last week. He is now 8-1 on the season playing in the sixth position. “He really is playing well” said Chattanooga head coach Carlos Garcia. “I probably should have put him back in (the lineup) earlier.”
The Mocs have now won three straight and are 16-5 on the season with one match remaining before the Southern Conference Championships. The Mocs can match last season’s mark of 17 wins with a win at No. 64 Furman on Saturday.
Thursday’s match was the last home match for senior Mark Fynn. Fynn is 16-5 on the season, playing primarily at the No. 2 postion. “Mark is the man” stated head coach Carlos Garcia. “He has had a great career. His legacy will live on long after he has left UTC. He motivates a lot of people around here, including me.”
Chattanooga men 4, Jacksonville State 3
Doubles (for one team point)
1. Duke-Unkenholz (JSU) def. Fynn-Mittiga (UTC), 8-4
2. Bachino-Saratt (JSU) def. Bouabdellah-Axente (UTC), 8-6
3. Hangstefer-Sauska (UTC) def. Pazsoldan-Robertson (JSU), 8-6
1. Badr Bouabdellah (UTC) def. Scott Robertson (JSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Bernado Bachino (JSU) def. Mark Fynn (UTC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Eduardo Saratt (JSU) def. Peter Sauska (UTC), 6-4, 6-0
4. Tim Mittiga (UTC) def. Chris Duke (JSU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Razvan Axente (UTC) def. Joey Unkenholz (JSU), 7-5, 6-2
6. Michael Hangstefer (UTC) def. Diego Pazsoldan (JSU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
Team Records: UTC (16-5, 5-3 SoCon), Jacksonville State (13-6, 7-1 OVC)