The men’s tennis team got back on the winning track Tuesday with a 6-1 victory over Mercer.
The match was played indoors at the Manker-Patten Tennis Club because of wet weather conditions.
The Mocs, now 9-2 on the dual match season, bounced back from Saturday’s 6-1 Southern Conference loss to Elon.
The Mocs won five of the six singles matches to earn the victory. Head Coach Carlos Garcia made a switch at the top of his lineup, moving up senior Razvan Axente to the No. 1 position and dropping down senior Badr Bouabdellah to the No. 2 spot. The move paid dividends as Axente defeated Tobias Ohrstrom, 6-2, 6-2, and Bouabdellah won his singles match, 6-1, 6-2 over Ivan Besancon.
Junior Peter Sauska, who was defeated for the first time all season in his last outing, made quick work of Justin Wimpee at No. 3, 6-2, 6-0. Fellow junior Pavel Vostrikov continued his strong play with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Fernando Armendaris.
Freshman Robert Diamond overcame a first-set loss to Chapman Mitchell to pull out a 5-7, 6-3, 10-3 win at the No. 6 spot.
The Bears’ only team point came with a win at No. 5 singles. Matthew Poleon got past freshman Hasan Hamadeh, 7-5, 6-3.
The Mocs start a difficult six-match road trip Monday at SoCon foe the
CHATTANOOGA 6, MERCER 1
Manker-Patten Tennis Club,
Doubles (for one team point)
1. Axente/Sauska (UTC) def. Mitchell/Ohrstrom (MER), 8-2
2. Bouabdellah/Vostrikov (UTC) def. Besaucon/Wimpee (MER), 8-2
3. Ingram/Poleon (MER) vs. Hamadeh/van de Bovenkamp (UTC), 5-4 DNF
1. Razvan Axente (UTC) def. Tobias Ohrstrom (MER), 6-2, 6-2
2. Badr Bouabdellah (UTC) def. Ivan Besancon (MER), 6-1, 6-2
3. Peter Sauska (UTC) def. Justin Wimpee (MER), 6-2, 6-0
4. Pavel Vostrikov (UTC) def. Fernando Armendaris (MER), 6-1, 6-0
5. Matthew Poleon (MER) def. Hasan Hamadeh (UTC), 7-5, 6-3
6. Robert Diamond (UTC) def. Chapman Mitchell (MER), 5-7, 6-3, 10-3
Team records: UTC (9-2), Mercer (2-8)