Bouabdellah, a senior, produced 6-2 wins in the first and third sets at the top singles position after Abromovich tied the score in the second set with a 6-4 win. The victory clinched the match for the Mocs, who had never defeated the Cougars under UTC Head Coach Carlos Garcia.
“This was a total team effort, and I am very proud of our team,” Garcia said. “We had a lot of factors against us; playing outdoors on their home court, the fans; and we worked together to overcome it all and get an important SoCon win on the road. This is one of the more satisfying wins since I have been at UTC.”
The match, played outdoors at the College of Charleston's Tennis Center at Patriots Point, was just the second time the Mocs have been able to compete outside this dual season.
Chattanooga captured the first and second doubles matches for the all-important doubles point and a 1-0 lead.
The Cougars, 4-6, 0-2, scored their three team points with straight set victories at the No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5 singles spots.
The Mocs, 10-2 and 1-1 in the league, set the stage for Bouabdellah's heroics with singles wins at No. 3 and No. 6. Junior Peter Sauska dispatched Steven Myers, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3, and freshman Robert Diamond pulled off a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 6 over Ross Moyer.
Chattanooga will remain in Charleston and take on The Citadel Wednesday at 1 p.m. in a SoCon match. The UTC campus is on Spring Break.
CHATTANOOGA 4, COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON 3
Patriots Point, Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
Doubles (for one team point)
1. Axente/Sauska (UTC) def. Abromavich/Myers (CofC), 8-6
2. Bouabdellah/Vostrikov (UTC) def. Nicolazzi/Moyer (CofC), 8-4
3. Boyer/Petit (CofC) vs. Diamond/Hamadeh (UTC), 8-2
1. Badr Bouabdellah (UTC) def. Omer Abromovich (CofC), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
2. Michael Boyer (CofC) def. Razvan Axente (UTC), 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Peter Sauska (UTC) def. Steven Myers (CofC), 6-2, 6-2
4. Joe Nicolazzi (CofC) def. Pavel Vostrikov (UTC), 6-4, 6-3
5. Christopher Carlton (CofC) def. Hasan Hamadeh (UTC), 6-4, 6-2
6. Robert Diamond (UTC) def. Ross Moyer (CofC), 6-4, 6-4
Team records: UTC (10-2, 1-1), College of Charleston (4-6, 0-2)