Peter Sauska outlasted Andrew Stubbs at No. 1 singles Tuesday and clinched the 4-3 Southern Conference men’s tennis victory over Wofford.
Stubbs tied the match at a set apiece with a 6-2 win after Sauska claimed the opening set, 6-1. The
The victory for the Mocs halted a six-match losing skid and improved their record to 11-8 overall and 2-6 in the SoCon.
The match, played indoors because of wet court conditions, marked the final home match for
Playing at No. 2, Bouabdellah defeated Kernodle, 6-2, 6-4, and Axente was a 6-1, 7-5 winner over Alan Donald at No. 3. The seniors’ singles wins, combined with Sauska’s at No. 1 and the doubles point carried the Mocs to the conference victory.
“It was special to get big wins from our seniors in their home finales,” Chattanooga Head Coach Carlos Garcia said. “We needed every one of them today against a very tough Wofford team. Our hope is that this win pushes us through in a positive direction to the end of the season and the tournament.”
The Terriers, 9-9, 3-3, produced three team points with singles wins at No. 4 by Scott Collins, No. 5 by Paul Bartholomy and No. 6 by Christopher Williams.
Manker-Patten Tennis Club,
Doubles (for one team point)
1. Kernodle/Stubbs (WOF) def. Axente/Bouabdellah (UTC), 9-8
2. Diamond/Sauska (UTC) def. Collins/Donald (WOF), 8-4
2. Badr Bouabdellah (UTC) def. George Kernodle (WOF), 6-2, 6-4
3. Razvan Axente (UTC) def. Alan Donald (WOF), 6-1, 7-5
4. Scott Collins (WOF) def. Pavel Vostrikov (UTC), 6-4, 7-5
5. Paul Bartholomy (WOF) def. Hasan Hamadeh (UTC), 6-1, 6-0
6. Christopher Williams (WOF) def. Robert Diamond (UTC), 4-6, 7-5, 10-3
Team records: UTC (11-8, 2-6); Wofford (9-9, 3-3)