Match time with the Flames is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) and is doubleheader with the women's teams. The Mocs will also host Southern Conference foes Wofford and Furman over the weekend.
UTC takes on Wofford on Saturday, March 27 at 2:30 p.m. Chattanooga wraps up the week against Furman on Sunday, March 28 also at 2:30 p.m. Both matches are doubleheaders with the women's teams and will be played on the UTC Tennis Courts. Live scoring will be available for all three matches on the men's tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
UTC is 1-10 on the year and 0-4 in SoCon action. The Mocs have been close in most of their duals up to this point in the season. UTC has twice lost the deciding match in a 4-3 defeat. Head Coach Carlos Garcia is still looking for the right combination that can turn those close losses into confidence-building wins.
Head coach Carlos Garcia, who is in his ninth year of guiding the men's tennis program, has one of the youngest teams in his career. The roster does not include any seniors and just four juniors. UTC is consistently playing with five freshmen and one sophomore in the lineup.
FRESHMEN LEADING THE WAY
Freshman Chris Smith currently leads the team with an 8-11 singles record. He has won two of his last three matches and has played in the 2, 3, and 4 spots this spring.
Freshmen Ryan Pool holds down the No. 1 position and is 6-12 on the year. Fellow freshman Roberto Vieira has been solid at No. 2 in the spring. He leads the Mocs with a 4-6 record in dual match action. Vieira has also been teaming with freshman Jackson Tresnan at No. 2 doubles. Their four wins as a pair lead the team.
The Mocs are trying to snap a five-match losing streak this week. UTC is also looking to end a 13-match slide in SoCon action. Chattanooga's last win in conference play was a 4-3 victory over Georgia Southern on April 6, 2008.
Lee is 4-2 on the year and led by sophomore Michael Yokosuk's 5-1 mark at No. 1 singles. The Flames, an NAIA school in nearby Cleveland, Tenn., will be taking on its first NCAA Division I opponent of the season when they visit the Mocs.
Wofford is 6-7 overall and 2-1 in Southern Conference action. The Terriers are fifth in the SoCon standings and have won three of their last five matches. Junior Paul Bartholomy leads the team with an 8-5 singles record at No. 4.
Furman is currently 5-9 on the year and 2-0 in SoCon action. The Paladins are third in the SoCon standings and going for their third straight SoCon title. Furman has been ranked as high as No. 58 in the nation this season. Seven of their nine losses have come against ranked opponents. Freshman Andrew Mellow is 5-6 on the year and has won four-straight matches at No. 5. Furman will travel to Samford on Saturday before taking on the Mocs on Sunday.
Probable Singles Line-up*
1. Ryan Pool - Fr. - 6-12 (UTC) | Michael Yokosuk - So. - 5-1 (LEE) | Tinus Van Wyk - So. - 4-9 (WOF) | Sawyer Duncan - Jr. - 4-8 (FUR)
2. Roberto Vieira - Fr. - 6-6 (UTC) | Tyler Jeffers - Fr. - 4-2 (LEE) | Stuart Robertson - So. - 5-7 (WOF) | Chris Motes - Sr. - 4-6 (FUR)
3. Chris Smith - Fr. - 8-11 (UTC) | Renan Molineiro - So. - 3-3 (LEE) | Alan Donald - Jr. - 6-7 (WOF) | Carl Lundberg - Fr. - 8-3 (FUR)
4. Jackson Tresnan - Fr. - 5-8 (UTC) | Marcelo Martinelli - Fr. - 3-3 (LEE) | Paul Bartholomy - Jr. - 8-5 (WOF) | Jordan Walters - Sr. - 2-9 (FUR)
5. Sam Parfitt - So. - 4-12 (UTC) | Zach Smith - Jr. - 4-2 (LEE) | Michael Schecter - Jr. - 7-6 (WOF) | Andrew Mellow - Fr. - 5-6 (FUR)
6. William Disterdick - Fr. - 3-9 (UTC) | Fabio Medina - Fr. - 4-2 (LEE) | Tom Wood - Fr. - 2-1 (WOF) | Tyler Droll - Fr. - 4-4 (FUR)
Probable Doubles Line-up*
1. Crofford-Smith - 0-6 (UTC) - Yokosuk-Jeffers - 3-3 (LEE) | Donald-Van Wyk - 0-1 (WOF) | Motes-Chris Rhyne (Sr.) - 1-11 (FUR)
2. Tresnan-Vieira - 4-5 (UTC) - Molineiro-Medina - 3-0 (LEE) | Robertson-Wood - 4-6 (WOF) | Duncan-Mellow - 3-8 (FUR)
3. Parfitt-Pool - 3-5 (UTC) - Smith-Martinelli - 3-0 (LEE) | Drew Superstein (Fr.)-Bartholomy - 0-1 (WOF) | Walters-Lundberg - 1-0 (FUR)