Weather forced the contest from the UTC Tennis Courts to the indoor surfaces at nearby Manker Patten Tennis Club. The opening doubles competition was a lively battle from the beginning. Furman took the first two matches to secure the point with wins at No. 2 and 3. However, Freshmen Roberto Vieira and Ryan Pool helped UTC avoid the sweep with an 8-6 win over Sawyer Duncan and Chris Motes at No. 1.
Furman swept all of the singles matches, but two Mocs would not go down without a fight. Freshman Chris Smith dropped his first set 6-1 to Carl Lundberg, but returned the favor with a 6-1 win in the second set. They went back and forth in the third before Lundberg pulled out a 6-4 win.
Vieira and Duncan engaged in an epic battle that started with a 7-6 first-set win for Vieira. He won the tiebreaker 8-6 to take the opener. Duncan fought back with a 6-2 win in the second. With the match already decided the two played a super-tiebreaker to decide the outcome. Trailing 7-4, Vieira battled back and had a match point at 8-7. He was unable to put the game away and Duncan eventually won 11-9.
With the loss, UTC falls to 2-12 on the season and 0-5 in SoCon action. Furman improved to 8-9 overall and remains undefeated in SoCon action at 5-0. Chattanooga is back in action next weekend when they host The Citadel on Friday, April 2. The match with the Bulldogs is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) on the UTC Tennis Courts. Live scoring will be available on GoMocs.com.
Furman 7, Chattanooga 0
1. Sawyer Duncan (FUR) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 6-7 (6-8), 6-2, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Chris Motes (FUR) def. Ryan Pool (UTC) - 6-1, 6-4
3. Carl Lundberg (FUR) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
4. Jordan Walters (FUR) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 6-3, 6-4
5. Andrew Mellow (FUR) def. Rick van de Bovenkamp (UTC) - 6-3, 6-2
6. Tyler Droll (FUR) def. Stephen Crofford (UTC) - 6-2, 6-3