The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team continues Southern Conference action this weekend when it hosts The Citadel and Appalachian State.
UTC takes on The Citadel on Friday, April 2 at 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) The Mocs host Appalachian State on Saturday, April 3 at 1:00 p.m. Live scoring will be available for The Citadel match on GoMocs.com. Both matches are set to take place on the UTC Tennis Courts.
Chattanooga is 2-12 on the year and 0-6 in SoCon action. The Mocs have been close in most of their duals up to this point in the season. UTC has lost the deciding match in a 4-3 defeat three times this year. Head Coach Carlos Garcia is still looking for the right combination that can turn those close losses into confidence-building wins.
Head coach Carlos Garcia, who is in his ninth year of guiding the men's tennis program, has one of the youngest teams in his career. The roster does not include any seniors and just four juniors. UTC is consistently playing with five freshmen and one sophomore in the lineup.
FRESHMEN LEADING THE WAY
Freshman Chris Smith currently leads the team with an 10-12 singles record. He has won four of his last six matches and has played in the 2, 3, and 4 spots this spring.
Freshman Roberto Vieira has recently taken over the No. 1 position and is 8-7 on the year, including wins in two of his last three outings.
Vieira has also recently teamed up with fellow freshman Ryan Pool at No. 1 doubles. This duo has won each of their last three doubles matches.
The Mocs snapped a five-match overall losing streak with a 7-0 win over Lee last week. UTC is now looking to end a 15-match slide in SoCon action. Chattanooga's last win in conference play was a 4-3 victory over Georgia Southern on April 6, 2008.
SCOUTING THE CITADEL
The Bulldogs are 5-10 on the year and 2-4 in SoCon action. The Citadel is looking for its first road win of the season. They are led by senior Alberto Diaz who has a 10-6 singles record at No. 2, including wins in four of his last five outings. Freshman David Orces also have posted a win in four of his last five times on the court at No. 3.
SCOUTING APPALACHIAN STATE
The Mountaineers are 7-7 on the year and 0-4 in SoCon action. ASU is led by sophomore Alain Humblet's 11-2 singles record. He is playing primarily the No. 3 or No. 4 spots. Seniors Peter Jacobs and Trent Constance make up the No. 1 doubles team. They are 10-3 on the year, 4-0 in SoCon matches and have won three straight. The Mountaineers are looking to snap a three-match losing streak when they visit UTC.
Probable Singles Line-up*
1. Roberto Vieira - Fr. - 8-7 (UTC) | Yufo Sutantio - Jr. - 5-11 (CIT) | Peter Jacobs - Sr. - 7-6 (ASU)
2. Ryan Pool - Fr. - 7-14 (UTC) | Alberto Diaz - Sr. - 10-6 (CIT) | Trent Constance - Sr. - 4-10 (ASU)
3. Chris Smith - Fr. - 10-12 (UTC) | David Orces - Fr. - 9-5 (CIT) | Alain Humblet - So. - 11-2 (ASU)
4. Jackson Tresnan - Fr. - 5-10 (UTC) | Josh Cook - So. - 3-11 (CIT) | Philip Kloc - So. - 9-4 (ASU)
5. Rick van de Bovenkamp - Jr. - 6-10 (UTC) | Derek Dickey - So. - 3-11 (CIT) | Andrew McKinnon - Fr. - 7-6 (ASU)
6. Stephen Crofford - Fr. - 6-8 (UTC) | Jeremiah Dye - So. - 0-3 (CIT) | Ezekiel Sansing - Fr. - 4-6 (ASU)
Probable Doubles Line-up*
1. Pool-Vieira - 3-1 (UTC) - Diaz-Sutantio - 8-5 (CIT) | Constance-Jacobs - 10-3 (ASU)
2. Smith-Tresnan - 0-3 (UTC) - Orces-Dickey - 3-5 (CIT) | Humblet-Kloc - 11-3 (ASU)
3. William Disterdick (Fr.)-van de Bovenkamp - 0-1 (UTC) - Cooke-Dye - 1-2 (CIT) | McKinnon-Sansing - 6-5 (ASU)
* Based on each team's last match.