The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team hits the road this week for a pair of matches. Chattanooga starts with a trip to Southern Conference foe Samford on Wednesday, April 7. UTC also faces Memphis in Murfreesboro, Tenn. on Saturday, April 10.
Match time against the Bulldogs is set for 3:00 p.m. (E.D.T.). Chattanooga gets underway against the Tigers at 2:30 p.m.
The Mocs are 3-13 on the season and 1-7 in SoCon matches. UTC's has four matches left on the 2009-10 schedule, including the home finale against Tennessee-Wesleyan on Tuesday, April 13 at 2:30 p.m. on the UTC Tennis Courts.
The Mocs ended a 17-match slide in SoCon action with their 5-2 win over The Citadel last week. Chattanooga's previous win in conference play was a 4-3 victory over Georgia Southern on April 6, 2008.
Head coach Carlos Garcia, who is in his ninth year of guiding the men's tennis program, has one of the youngest teams in his career. The roster does not include any seniors and just four juniors. UTC is consistently playing with five freshmen and one sophomore in the lineup.
FRESHMEN LEADING THE WAY
Freshmen Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) and Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) currently lead the team with 10 singles wins on the year. Smith has a 10-12 record and has played in the 2, 3, and 4 spots this spring.
Vieira has recently taken over the No. 1 position and has played well in the top spot with a 10-7 record. He is 6-4 in his last 10 matches and 4-2 at the No. 1 position for the Mocs.
William Disterdick (Hixson, Tenn.) had solid results on the court last week. He was 2-0 in singles and 2-0 in doubles in SoCon action against The Citadel and Appalachian State.
The Bulldogs are 10-8 on the year and 2-4 in the Southern Conference. Junior Carl Abalos leads the team with an 11-6 singles record, playing mostly the No. 4 or No. 5 spots. In doubles play, junior Oliver Reynolds and freshman Zac Dunkle have a perfect 4-0 mark at No. 2.
The Tigers are 9-9 on the season and 1-2 in the Conference USA. Junior Michael Gaerthoeffner leads the team with a 12-6 singles mark at No. 6. Junior Jordan Smith and sophomore David Henry are 13-3 as the No. 1 doubles tandem for Memphis.
Probable Singles Line-up*
1. Roberto Vieira - Fr. - 10-7 (UTC) | Carson Kadi - So. - 10-7 (SAM) | Jordan Smith - Jr. - 4-6 (MEM)
2. Ryan Pool - Fr. - 8-15 (UTC) | Zac Dunkle - Fr. - 10-6 (SAM) | David Henry - So. - 8-9 (MEM)
3. Chris Smith - Fr. - 10-14 (UTC) | Oliver Reynolds - Jr. - 9-5 (SAM) | Charlie Ramsay - Sr. - 8-8 (MEM)
4. Jackson Tresnan - Fr. - 5-12 (UTC) | Carl Abalos - Jr. - 11-6 (SAM) | Michael Janz - Jr. - 9-9 (MEM)
5. William Disterdick - Fr. - 6-10 (UTC) | Michael Browder - So. - 2-3 (SAM) | John Taylor - Jr. - 9-4 (MEM)
6. Stephen Crofford - Fr. - 7-9 (UTC) | Adam Witcher - Jr. - 5-12 (SAM) | MIchael Gaerthoeffner - Jr. - 12-6 (MEM)
Probable Doubles Line-up*
1. Pool-Vieira - 3-3 (UTC) - Kadi-Browder - 3-2 (SAM) | Smith-Henry - 13-3 (MEM)
2. Smith-Crofford - 1-8 (UTC) - Dunkle-Reynolds - 4-0 (SAM) | Janz-Taylor - 6-3 (MEM)
3. Disterdick-Tresnan - 2-0 (UTC) - Abalos-Scott Foster (Fr.) - 3-3 (SAM) | Ramsey-Gaerthoeffner - 1-2 (MEM)
* Based on each team's last match.