ASU took a 3-0 leads with wins at No. 4 and No. 5 singles. Sophomore Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) put Chattanooga on the board with his (7-5, 6-1) win over Alex Markov at No. 1. Vieira improves to 7-5 at No. 1 and 11-9 overall. He is also 4-1 in SoCon matches this season.
Appalachian State clinched the match when Alain Humblet won a three-setter over sophomore Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) at No. 2. Smith won the first set 7-5, but Humblet battled back to take the last two and the win.
Sophomore Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) scored the Mocs' other point with his three-set win (7-5, 1-6, 7-6) at No. 3. He snaps a two-match slide and leads the team with a 13-10 overall record.
The Mocs hit the road next week, traveling to Samford on Wednesday, March 30. Match time is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) in Birmingham, Ala. Chattanooga's next home match is Saturday, April 2, against the College of Charleston at 1:00 p.m. on the UTC Tennis Courts.
Appalachian State 5, Chattanooga 2
Mar 27, 2011 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Alain Humblet/Phillip Kloc (ASU) def. Chris Smith/Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 8-3
2. Sebastien King/Alex Markov (ASU) def. Stephen Crofford/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 8-5
3. William Disterdick/Orlando Lourenco (UTC) def. Andrew McKinnon/Ezekiel Sansing (ASU) - 8-5
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Alex Markov (ASU) - 7-5, 6-1
2. Alain Humblet (ASU) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
3. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Phillip Kloc (ASU) - 7-5, 1-6, 7-6
4. Sebastien King (ASU) def. William Disterdick (UTC) - 6-1, 7-6
5. Andrew McKinnon (ASU) def. Rick van de Bovenkamp (UTC) - 6-4, 7-6
6. Matt Saltsgaver (ASU) def. Stephen Crofford (UTC) - 7-5, 6-7, 4-3 (inj)