Sophomore Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) battled in a three-set affair with Mickael Trintignac at No. 2 singles. Smith took the first set (7-6) after winning a tiebreaker. He was swept (6-0) in the second, setting up a final 10-point pro set to decide the match. It took six extra points to decide the match with Trintignac winning 13-11.
Smith and fellow sophomore Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) gave the Mocs their lone win of the day. They defeated Lukas Koncilla and Kyle Parker (9-7) at No. 1 doubles. Seniors Rick van de Bovenkamp (Oud-Beyerland, The Netherlands), Gordon Ruddell (Knoxville, Tenn.) and Matt Harris (Nashville, Tenn.) both played in their final regular season home matches.
UTC hits the road for its final three regular season matches of the year, beginning next Saturday, April 9, at Furman. The Mocs host the 2011 SoCon Tennis Championships at the Champions Club on April 20-23.
College of Charleston 7, Chattanooga 0
Apr 02, 2011 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Roberto Vieira/Chris Smith (UTC) def. Lukas Koncilia/Kyle Parker (COFC) - 9-7
2. Chris Toussaint/Stephen Hardy (COFC) def. Orlando Lourenco/William Disterdick (UTC) - 8-2
3. Mickael Trintignac/Billy Kenny (COFC) def. Gordon Rudell/Rick van de Bovenkamp (UTC) - 8-2
1. Lukas Koncilia (COFC) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 6-2, 6-0
2. Mickael Trintignac (COFC) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 6-7 (4-7), 6-0, 1-0 (13-11)
3. Tom Delme (COFC) def. William Disterdick (UTC) - 6-0, 6-2
4. Mickael Boyer (COFC) def. Rick van de Bovenkamp (UTC) - 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Kyle Parker (COFC) def. Matt Harris (UTC) - 6-1, 6-2
6. Stephen Hardy (COFC) def. Stephen Crofford (UTC) - 6-3, 6-4