Sophomore Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) allowed Chattanooga to avoid the sweep with his win at No. 1. He was playing in the top spot in place of fellow sophomore Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa).
Smith won the first set 6-4 against Tinus Van Wyk. He dropped the second 5-7, but clinched the win with by taking the super-tiebreaker 10-7. Smith evened his singles record at 1-1 at the No. 1 position, 10-15 overall.
The Mocs wrap up the regular season with a trip to Georgia Southern on Saturday, April 16. UTC will host the 2011 Southern Conference Championships at the Champions Club on April 20-23.
Wofford 6, Chattanooga 1
Apr 10, 2011 at Spartanburg, S.C. (Reeves Tennis Center)
1. Stuart Robertson/Tinus Van Wyk (WOF) def. William Disterdick/Chris Smith (UTC) - 8-6
2. Paul Bartholomy/Alan Donald (WOF) def. Stephen Crofford/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 8-7 (7-2)
3. Michael Schecter/Jack Seiffert (WOF) def. Rick van de Bovenkamp/Jordan Faith (UTC) - 8-0
1. Chris Smith (UTC) def. Tinus Van Wyk (WOF) - 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Michael Schecter (WOF) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Stuart Robertson (WOF) def. William Disterdick (UTC) - 6-2, 6-4
4. Alan Donald (WOF) def. Rick van de Bovenkamp (UTC) - 6-2, 6-4
5. Drew Superstein (WOF) def. Stephen Crofford (UTC) - 6-3, 6-3
6. Paul Bartholomy (WOF) def. Orlando Lourenco (UTC) - 6-1, 6-0