Chattanooga was shutout by the Phoenix, who improved to 16-8 overall. The Mocs are hosting the SoCon Tournament at the Champions Club and won a league tournament game for the first time since 2007 with yesterday's 4-3 victory over Georgia Southern.
After playing a grueling match with the Eagles less than 24 hours earlier, the Mocs had a hard time responding today. UTC fell behind early, getting swept in doubles action.
"I am not going to say that fatigue was a factor," explained Head Coach Carlos Garcia. "You have to win three or four in a row in these situations. We were a little flat in the doubles, but we are young and still getting used to this type of environment."
The Mocs were unable to get anything going, giving up each of the first three singles matches. Sophomore Roberto Vieira was up (6-3, 4-1) in his No. 1 match vs. Philip Nemec when the contest was decided, but he was the only Moc headed for a positive result.
"Tip your hat to Elon," stated Garcia. "They always play well and did so again today. They have a little bit more experience than we have and are a talented, well-coached team".
The future is bright for UTC as five sophomore starters are slated to return. Senior Rick van de Bovenkamp (Oud-Beyerland, The Netherlands) is the lone regular lost to graduation.
"Our foundation is set and we have a team that can be dangerous in the next few years," added Garcia. "We are going to have to work really hard in the summer time, play well in the fall and carry that momentum into next spring."
Elon 4, Chattanooga 0
Apr 21, 2011 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
1. #81 Philip Nemec/Chase Helpingstine (ELON) def. William Disterdick/Chris Smith (UTC) - 8-1
2. Alberto Rojas/Cody S-MacDowell (ELON) def. Stephen Crofford/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 8-4
3. Thomas Darling/Eric Turner (ELON) def. Roberto Vieira/Orlando Lourenco (UTC) - 6-4
1. Philip Nemec (ELON) vs. Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 3-6, 1-4, unfinished
2. Eric Turner (ELON) vs. Chris Smith (UTC) - 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
3. Alberto Rojas (ELON) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 6-2, 6-3
4. Chase Helpingstine (ELON) def. Rick van de Bovenkamp (UTC) - 6-0, 6-0
5. Cody S-MacDowell (ELON) vs. William Disterdick (UTC) - 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
6. Carlos Arboleda (ELON) def. Stephen Crofford (UTC) - 6-2, 6-2