The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team dropped its Southern Conference opener 4-3 at Elon today. The match went down to the wire before the Mocs fell in a three-setter in the final singles bout. Chattanooga moves to 8-3 overall while the Phoenix improve to 5-6 and 2-0 in league matches.
"If you would have told me that we would be tied 3-3 on the road against a perennial conference favorite and a veteran playing in the deciding match, I would take that all day long," stated head coach Carlos Garcia. "The best thing about today is that we didn't play well in singles, but still had a chance to win at the end."
Junior Jackson Tresnan was the veteran on the court with the match tied at 3-3. Riding a nine-match winning streak, the longest by any UTC player since 2007, Tresnan dropped the first set 6-4 to Jordan Kaufman at No. 5. He battled back to win the second 6-3, before falling 6-3 in the final frame. It was just his second loss of the season, falling to 9-2 overall.
"It is always tough to take something positive from a loss, but I think this could be good for our team," added Garcia. "We hung with one of the top teams in our conference without getting anything out of the top of our lineup. I am disappointed that we didn't get a win, but I am ready to get back on the court tomorrow.
Junior Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and freshman Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) both had match-tying wins in singles. Down 2-1, Barroetavena defeated Juan Madrid (6-4, 6-2), improving to 6-2 at No. 4 and 11-6 overall. Trailing 3-2, Grigorjevs beat Andrew Prince (7-6, 7-6) at No. 6. He won the first tiebreaker 10-8 and the second 7-5.
Chattanooga started the day winning the doubles point by taking the last two matches. Elon opened with a win at No. 1, but junior Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) and freshman Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) evened the match with an 8-3 win over Christopher Gealsen and Andrew Price 8-3.
UTC travels to UNCG on Sunday for a Noon (E.D.T.) match against the Spartans. Check back to GoMocs.com for a complete recap at the completion of competition.
Elon 4, Chattanooga 3
1. Cameron Silverman/Eric Turner (ELON) def. Chris Smith/Ankit Chopra (UTC) - 8-3
2. Manuel Barroetavena/Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Stefan Fortmann/Jordan Kaufman (ELON) - 8-5
3. Jackson Tresnan/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Christopher Geaslen/Andrew Prince (ELON) - 8-3
1. Cameron Silverman (ELON) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 6-3, 6-2
2. Stefan Fortmann (ELON) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 6-1, 6-1
3. Eric Turner (ELON) def. Ankit Chopra (UTC) - 6-2, 6-1
4. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Juan Madrid (ELON) - 6-4, 6-2
5. Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
6. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Andrew Prince (ELON) - 7-6 (10-8), 7-6 (7-5)