Juniors Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) won for the second time as a pair this season. They defeated Nate Collins and Watson Georga (8-5) at No. 2. Despite the win, Furman took the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3.
The Paladins extended their lead to 3-0 with two-set wins at No. 2 and No. 3. UTC already has one 0-3 comeback win, last week at UNCG, and tried to mount another rally today.
Barroetavena put UTC on the board with a (7-5, 6-2) victory at No. 4. For Barroetavena, it was his seventh straight win, upping his team leading singles record to 14-6 overall and 8-2 at No. 4.
The last three matches all went three sets and Freshman Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) kept the Mocs' hopes alive with a win at No. 6. He defeated Tyler Droll (2-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)). Grigorjevs fought off an ankle injury early in the second set to post his seventh-straight win. He is now 7-2 at No. 6 and 10-6 overall.
The Paladins scored wins in both of the remaining matches. Junior Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) was forced to retire after reinjuring the same foot that has limited his play recently. The match was already decided when he retired.
Chattanooga returns to the court on Thursday, March 22, hosting Lee University at the UTC Tennis Courts. First serve is set for 2:30 p.m. (E.D.T.) and a link for live scoring is available on the men's tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Furman 5, Chattanooga 2
1. Joel Cook/Alex Christ (FUR) def. Roberto Vieira/Ankit Chopra (UTC) - 8-6
2. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Nate Collins/Watson George (FUR) - 8-5
3. Andrew Mellow/Tyler Droll (FUR) def. Sam Parfitt/Stephen Crofford (UTC) - 8-4
1. Andrew Mellow (FUR) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 4-1, retired
2. Alex Christ (FUR) def. Ankit Chopra (UTC) - 6-3, 6-4
3. Joel Cook (FUR) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 6-3, 6-4
4. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Jacob Behal (FUR) - 7-5, 6-2
5. Robbie Aru (FUR) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Tyler Droll (FUR) - 2-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)