Junior Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) sat out the match with a foot injury, forcing head coach Carlos Garcia to shuffle his singles and doubles lineups. Chattanooga responded by improving to 11-4 overall, clinching a .500 or better record for the first time since 2008.
Juniors Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) and Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) won their third straight with an 8-2 victory over Patrick Kim and Renan Molineiro at No. 2 doubles. Junior Stephen Crofford (Franklin, Tenn.) and Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) clinched the point with an 8-4 win at No. 3.
With the point decided and the score even at seven games apiece, the No. 1 doubles match went to a tiebreaker. Juniors Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) and Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India) took the tiebreaker 7-3 to win the match 8-7.
UTC cruised in five of the six singles matches. Barroetavena and Grigorjevs both won their eighth-straight matches, coming out on top at No. 2 and No. 5, respectively. Barroetavena has a team-best 15-6 singles record.
Tresnan (4) and Crofford (6) also won easily in straight sets. Chopra grabbed another point when his opponent retired due to injury early in the match.
Smith stepped up to No. 1 in place of Vieira and had a battle going with Michael Yokosuk. Smith won the first set 6-4 before being forced into a tiebreak in the second set. With all of the other matches complete and the focus on the No. 1 court, Smith steeped up and scored a 7-5 win in the breaker. Smith is now 11-10 overall and his 11 wins ties his career-high for a season.
The Mocs hit the road for two Southern Conference matches in Charleston this weekend. UTC faces The Citadel (4-11, 0-4 SoCon) on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) and the College of Charleston (7-2, 2-0 SoCon) on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. The Mocs are currently in fifth place in the SoCon with a 2-2 league record. Be sure to check back to GoMocs.com for updates following the action each day.
Chattanooga 7, Lee 0
1. Chris Smith/Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Richard Gamble/Michael Yokosuk (LEE) - 8-7 (7-3)
2. Jackson Tresnan/Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Patrick Kim/Renan Molineiro (LEE) - 8-2
3. Stephen Crofford/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Flavio Azevedo Costa/Kevin Tan (LEE) - 8-4
1. Chris Smith (UTC) def. Michael Yokosuk (LEE) - 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Richard Gamble (LEE) - 6-1, 6-3
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Renan Molineiro (LEE) - 2-0, retired
4. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Flavio Azevedo Costa (LEE) - 6-1, 6-1
5. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Fabio Medina (LEE) - 6-3, 6-1
6. Stephen Crofford (UTC) def. Kevin Tan (LEE) - 6-4, 6-0