Following yesterday's 4-3 win over Wofford, Chattanooga head coach Carlos Garcia talked about how even Southern Conference men's tennis has become. That reality set in even harder today with the Mocs 4-3 loss to visiting Davidson at the Baylor School Courts.
UTC won the doubles point, but surrendered four singles matches to fall to 13-6 overall and 4-4 in SoCon action. Davidson improved to 7-11 and 3-5 in league play.
The Wildcats opened with a doubles win at No. 1, but juniors Stephen Crofford (Franklin, Tenn.) and Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) responded with an 8-4 win over Connor Evins and Chris Mark at No. 3. Juniors Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) secured the point with an 8-6 win over Nicky Kunz and Kevin Moore.
Davidson quickly regained the upper hand, winning the first set in five of the six singles matches. Vieira was the only Moc to come out on top in the first frame. He went on to give UTC a 2-0 lead with his (6-4, 6-2) win over Joe Schafer at No. 1.
The Wildcats closed the gap to 2-1 when Robert Lightbourn defeated Tresnan (6-4, 6-4) at No. 5. Barroetavena gave the Mocs a 3-1 lead with his three-set win at No. 2. After dropping the first, he came back to defeat (Mark (3-6, 6-1, 6-3) for his 12th straight win. Barroetavena improves to 19-6 overall and is 8-0 in SoCon matches. His 12-match streak is the longest by a Moc since Badr Bouabdellah closed out the 2006 season with 20 consecutive wins.
Davidson rallied in the final three matches to take the team win. Juniro Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) took Kunz to a third set tiebreaker before falling 7-1 in the final frame. Junior Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India) was up 4-3 in his third set against Calum Gee before falling (7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 6-4).
The Mocs have one match on the schedule next week, a trip to Boone, N.C., to face Appalachian State. Match time against the Mountaineers is set for Noon (E.D.T.) on Saturday, April 7. UTC's final home match of the season is set for Friday, April 13, against Samford on the UTC Tennis Courts. First serve on Senior Day is set for 2:00 p.m. and a link for live scoring will be available on the men's tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Davidson 4, Chattanooga 3
1. Calum Gee/Joe Schafer (DAV) def. Ankit Chopra/Chris Smith (UTC) - 8-4
2. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Nicky Kunz/Kevin Moore (DAV) - 8-6
3. Stephen Crofford/Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Connor Evins/Chris Mark (DAV) - 8-4
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Joe Schafer (DAV) - 6-4, 6-2
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Chris Mark (DAV) - 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Nicky Kunz (DAV) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 (7-1)
4. Calum Gee (DAV) def. Ankit Chopra (UTC) - 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 6-4
5. Robert Lightbourn (DAV) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 6-4, 6-4
6. Connor Evins (DAV) def. Stephen Crofford (UTC) - 7-5, 6-3