BIRMINGHAM, Ala. --- The Chattanooga men’s tennis team fell 5-1 to UAB Friday afternoon in a non-conference matchup at the Samford Indoor Courts.
The Mocs fall to 1-6 overall and the Blazers move to 2-5.
Torrential downpours with threats of severe weather forced play indoors at the Samford Indoor Courts. Play started with singles matches and doubles were not played after the Blazers claimed the victory.
The Mocs’ Peter Sauska was Chattanooga’s lone winner at the No. 1 position. Sauska defeated Slawkek Szereneta 6-1, 6-4. Pavel Vostrikov fell in three sets to Alex Emery at the No. 2 spot. After dropping the first set 6-4, Vostrikov rebounded to tie the match with a 6-3 win in the second set. The two battled it out in the third set, but Vostrikov couldn’t hold on and fell 7-5.
The Mocs will host the University of Kentucky in a 1 p.m. match at the Champions Club Sunday afternoon. Admission is free to the public.
1. Sauska def. Slawek Szereneta 6-1,6-4
2. Alex Emery def Vostrikov 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
3. Brian Ly def Rick van de Bovenkamp 6-4,6-4
4. Daniel Mosur def Alex Butnarciuc 6-2,6-1
5. Tommy Petrich def Dakota Pate 6-1,6-4
6. Dennis Ehrlich def Rudell 6-0,6-1
Did not play the doubles