Story by Adam Stephens
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team defeated visiting Southern Conference opponent UNCG 5-2 this afternoon. The win brings the Mocs record to 15-3 overall and 6-1 in league play.
“It was a good SoCon win, Greensboro is always tough,” head coach Jeff Clark said. The Spartans had won eight straight in the series, but UTC was able to grab its first win since March 26, 2006.
Chattanooga started off hot in doubles action winning No. 1 and No. 3 while only dropping a combined three games. .
Junior Kaylene Chadwell and senior Alexa Flynn followed shortly after with an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles. It was the fifth win in a row for Chadwell and Flynn. They remain undefeated in SoCon action at 7-0 and are 10-1 at No. 1.
The Mocs transferred that energy from doubles to singles when they won the first set on five courts.
Flynn fell behind 0-4 at the start of the match against Staphanie Falcon. Fortunately, she found the energy she needed, winning the next 12 games in a row for the victory (6-4, 6-0).
“In the singles Alexa Flynn, showed some great senior leadership there, down 4-0 and winning 12 games in a row, that’s great effort,“ Clark said.
Chadwell won for the fifth time in a row at No. 2, improving to 7-0 in league play and 15-2 in the spring. Coots won her fourth straight match at No. 4 where she is 12-3 this spring.
The Mocs are back in action tomorrow for Senior Day against Elon (10-7, 4-2 SoCon). First serve is set for 12:00 p.m. at the UTC Tennis Courts. Chattanooga will honor its lone senior, Alexa Flynn, before the match. A link for live scoring is available on the women’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 5, UNCG 2
Apr 05, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Kaylene Chadwell/Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Kayla Gammie/Devon Sutherland (UNCG) 8-2
2. Dilara Yurtkuran/Yasmin Franco (UNCG) def. Kayla Jones/Katie Polk by retirement due to injuries
3. Kelsey Coots/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Stephanie Falcon/Soumeya Anane (UNCG) 8-1
1. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 6-4, 6-2
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Soumeya Anane (UNCG) by retirement
due to injuries
3. Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) 6-4, 6-0
4. Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Kayla Gammie (UNCG) 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
5. Yasmin Franco (UNCG) def. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) 6-2, 7-5
6. Jamie Grinberg (UNCG) def. Katie Polk (UTC) 6-3, 4-6, 0-1(11-9)