With the team score knotted at 3-3, Cook and Ksiezopolski battled through three sets at the No. 6 singles position. After Ksiezopolski, a freshman, took the first set 6-1, Cook staged a comeback and claimed the second and third sets, 6-3 and 6-1.
UTC, seeded ninth, took a 1-0 lead by winning two out of three doubles matches and the doubles point.
The lead reached 3-0 after the top two singles matches went the Lady Mocs’ way. Anastasia Zhukova, ranked 47th nationally, dispatched Anja Gugger, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 1, and junior Lindsey Ballard defeated Monica Tomas at No. 2, 6-1, 6-2.
ASU, the No. 8 seed, got back in the match with wins at No. 3 and No. 5. Amanda Cash beat Beata Knizat at No. 3, 6-4, 6-0, and Carolina Mauch defeated Samantha Duggan at No. 5, 6-3, 6-1.
The score was tied at 3-3 on a competitive three-setter at No. 4 singles. ASU’s Lauren Holton bested Bonnie Adams 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.
The Lady Mocs end their season with a 10-17 overall record. Appalachian State, 10-14, will face top-seeded Furman Friday at 8:30 a.m.
There is a realistic chance that Zhukova will earn a spot in the NCAA Championships in May. With her national ranking and 24-2 singles record, she is expected to be the first female player in UTC's Division I history to receive a berth to the NCAAs.
Appalachian State 4, Chattanooga women 3
Southern Conference Championships
Doubles (for one team point)
1. Ballard-Zhukova (UTC) def. Cash-Gugger (ASU), 8-3
2. Adams-Knizat (UTC) def. Holton-Tomas (ASU), 8-3
3. Duggan-Ksiezopolski (UTC) vs. Frances Blanton-Mauch (ASU) DNF
1. No. 47 Anastasia Zhukova (UTC) def. Anja Gugger (ASU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Lindsey Ballard (UTC) def. Monica Tomas (ASU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Amanda Cash (ASU) def. Beata Knizat (UTC), 6-4, 6-0
4. Lauren Holton (ASU) def. Bonnie Adams (UTC), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Carolina Mauch (ASU) def. Samantha Duggan (UTC), 6-3, 6-1
6. Mallory Cook (ASU) vs. Kate Ksiezopolski (UTC), 1-6, 6-3, 6-1*
Team records: UTC (10-16); Appalachian State (9-14)