The Wofford women’s tennis team claimed the doubles point and the bottom four singles matches Tuesday to register a 5-2 Southern Conference victory over the Lady Mocs.
Adams teamed with junior Beata Knizat for an 8-6 doubles victory at the No. 2 spot, and Ballard defeated
“These two seniors have been here for four years together,” Chattanooga Head Coach Jeff Clark said. “They have meant a lot to this program and have certainly left their mark. Each one of them has been an outstanding role model both on and off the court.”
Ballard supplied the Lady Mocs’ first team point with her 11th singles win of the year. Freshman Grace Robinette and Wofford’s Adriane Hodges were the last two singles players on the court at the No. 2 position. Robinette claimed the first set, 6-4 and Hodges sent the match to a third-set superbreaker with a 7-5 win in the second. Robinette pulled out the victory with a 10-7 third-set win.
The Terriers, 12-3, 4-1, clinched the SoCon win with Haley Baird’s 4-6, 6-0, 6-3 comeback win over junior Beata Knizat at No. 4.
The doubles matches were played after singles, and Wofford took the first and the third matchups.
The Lady Mocs, 7-10, 1-6, take on UNC Asheville Saturday at 2 p.m. in
Hixson Racquet Club,
Doubles (for one team point)
2. Adams/Knizat (UTC) def. Hodges/Wetzig (WOF), 8-6
3. Anand/Baird (WOF) def. Green/Kate Ksiezopoloski (UTC), 8-2
1. Lindsey Ballard (UTC) def. Merry Ellen Henry (WOF), 6-4, 6-3
2. Grace Robinette (UTC) def. Adriane Hodges (WOF), 6-4, 5-7, 1-0(7)
3. Sabrina Smyers (WOF) def. Bonnie Adams (UTC), 6-2, 6-3
4. Haley Baird (WOF) def. Beata Knizat (UTC), 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
5. Cayley Wetzig (WOF) def. Annie Green (UTC), 6-2, 7-6(7)
6. Sonia Anand (WOF) def. Kate Ksiezopolski (UTC), 6-0, 6-0
Team records: UTC (7-10, 1-6); Wofford (12-3, 4-1)