The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's tennis team scored a 5-2 win over Appalachian State today. The Lady Mocs raced out to a 3-0 lead, then held off a late charge from the Mountaineers to score their first win in Southern Conference action.
Chattanooga snapped a four-match losing streak to improve to 3-7 on the season and 1-3 in SoCon action. ASU dropped to 6-5 overall and 0-1 in the SoCon. Today's match was originally scheduled for UTC's outdoor courts, but had to move to the indoor surfaces at the Hixson Racquet Club due to rain in the Chattanooga area.
The Lady Mocs opened with back-to-back wins to take the doubles point. Sophomore Emily Hangstefer and junior Grace Robinette teamed at No. 1 for an 8-2 victory over ASU's Ellies Linsell and Olivia Stannard. It was Hangstefer and Robinette's first win since being paired in doubles action three matches ago.
Freshman Jenna Nurik and sophomore Shaina Singh clinched the point with an 8-4 win over Blakely Bean and Gisela Fernandez at No. 2. It was the second-straight win for the pair in doubles action. The No. 3 doubles bout was called with the scored knotted at five.
Hangstefer put UTC up 2-0 with a quick 6-2, 6-3 win over Stannard at No. 3. Hangstefer snapped a personal four-match slide in singles play and improved to 10-9 on the year.
Nurik followed that up with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Linsell at No. 1 to give UTC a 3-0 lead. Chattanooga only needed one more win in the final four matches, but Appalachian State made it interesting with some gritty play.
Jennifer Anasari put ASU on the board with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Singh at No. 2. The final three matches all went three sets, including a 6-7 (4), 6-0, 6-2 win by Bean over sophomore Charlotte Bossy. That drew the overall tally to 3-2, still in favor of the Lady Mocs.
Robinette was wrapped up in a tough battle with Carolina Mauch at No. 4 all afternoon. After winning the first set in a tiebreaker, Robinette dropped the second set 6-3. The pair fought all the way to the end as Robinette sealed the team win with a 7-5 victory in the third set.
Freshman Jennifer Taylor rounded out the scoring with a 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9) win at No. 6.
The Lady Mocs stay at home for their next match tomorrow against Tennessee-Martin. They host the Skyhawks for a Monday matinee at the UTC Tennis Courts at 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.). Live scoring will be available for the match on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 5 - Appalachian State 2
1. Emily Hangstefer/Grace Robinette (UTC) def. Ellies Linsell/Olivia Stannard (ASU) - 8-2
2. Jenna Nurik/Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Blakeley Bean/Gisela Fernandez (ASU) - 8-4
3. Jennifer Ansari/Caroline Mauch (ASU) vs. Charlotte Bossy/Annie Green (UTC) - no result
1. Jenna Nurik (UTC) def. Ellies Linsell (ASU) - 6-4, 6-4
2. Jennifer Ansari (ASU) def. Shaina Singh (UTC) - 6-4, 6-4
3. Emily Hangstefer (UTC) def. Olivia Stannard (ASU) - 6-2, 6-3
4. Grace Robinette (UTC) def. Caroline Mauch (ASU) - 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 7-5
5. Blakeley Bean (ASU) def. Charlotte Bossy (UTC) - 6-7 (4-7), 6-0, 6-2
6. Jennifer Taylor (UTC) def. Gisela Fernandez (ASU) - 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)