The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's tennis team has three matches this week, beginning with a road trip to Samford on Thursday, April 8. Chattanooga returns home to face Mercer on Saturday, April 10 and hosts Georgia Southern on Sunday, April 11.
The match with the Bulldogs is set for 3:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) while the two home contests begin at 1:00 p.m. Live scoring will be available for the Mercer and Georgia Southern matches.
Chattanooga is 7-10 on the year and 3-4 in Southern Conference action. The Lady Mocs defeated Western Carolina 5-2 in their only match last week. UTC only has two more weekends of action left in the regular season.
MOST SOCON WINS SINCE 2004
UTC's three wins in conference play are the most since 2004 when the Lady Mocs finished in third place with a 6-4 record.
NURIK HAVING A STRONG SEASON
Freshman Jenna Nurik is off to a solid start to her Chattanooga career. She leads the team with an 18-7 singles mark, playing all of her matches at No. 1. She has won seven of her last eight matches and is 11-6 in spring action.
Equally impressive is Nurik's 18-8 record in doubles play. The Roswell, Ga. native has teamed with sophomores Emily Hangstefer (9-5) and Shaina Singh (8-2), as well as junior Grace Robinette (1-1) during the season.
GREEN-KNIZAT TANDEM PERFECT
The doubles tandem of junior Annie Green and senior Beata Knizat have made for a perfect match this spring. The pair is currently 7-0 on the year and have won matches in the last six duals for the Lady Mocs. They won their only contest at No. 2 and are 6-0 in the No. 3 doubles spot.
ANOTHER FRESHMAN STEPPING UP
Freshman Jennifer Taylor is also have a strong singles season. She is tied for third on the team with a 14-9 record, playing mostly at the No. 6 position. She is 6-4 in her last 10 matches, including wins in four of her last five outings. She has a 7-2 record at No. 6 during spring action.
Head Coach Jeff Clark has a very young lineup on the court this season. His staring six includes two freshman, three sophomores and a junior.
The Lady Mocs have been in some tight matches this spring, including four 4-3 losses. Chattanooga has dropped matches to Austin Peay, Jacksonville State, UT-Martin and UAB by just one point.
The Bulldogs are 13-5 on the season and in second place in the SoCon with a 5-1 league mark. Samford broke Furman's 100-match unbeaten streak in SoCon play earlier in the season. Samford is riding a five-match winning streak into Thursday's contest with UTC. Sophomore Rebecca Kirven leads the team with a 13-4 record at No. 5 and 6.
The Mercer match is a make-up from a rainout earlier in the season. The Bears are 7-8 overall and have won two-straight matches. Stephanie Cohen (No. 5), Jennifer Lada (No. 1) and Anna Weislander (No. 2) all have seven singles wins to lead the team. Weislander and Priscilla Dias have teamed up for eight doubles wins at No. 2.
SCOUTING GEORGIA SOUTHERN
Georgia Southern is 10-7 on the year and 4-3 in SoCon matches. Senior Kristi Kegerreis (No. 4) and juniors Melanie Rolle (No. 2) and Ashley Hungerford (No. 5) all have 10 singles wins to lead the team. There is the potential for a marquee matchup at No. 3 doubles between UTC's undefeated tandem of Knizat and Green against Kegerreis and senior Christine Caforio who are 9-1 on the year.
1. Jenna Nurik - Fr. - 18-7 (UTC) | Taylor Morgan - Jr. - 10-7 (SAM) | Jennifer Lada - So. - 7-8 (MER) | Ali Beavers - Jr. - 7-8 (GSU)
2. Emily Hangstefer So. - 14-12 (UTC) | Andrie Meiring - Jr. - 10-7 (SAM) | Anna Wieslander - Sr. - 7-8 (MER) | Melanie Rolle - Jr. - 10-5 (GSU)
3. Shaina Singh - So. - 15-11 (UTC) | Madelie vs. Rensburg - So. - 10-7 (SAM) | Amalia Bugge - Jr. - 5-10 (MER) | Natalie Maffett - Fr. - 3-10 (GSU)
4. Beata Knizat - Sr. - 5-7 (UTC) | Stephanie Parkison - Sr. - 10-7 (SAM) | Priscilla Dias - Sr. - 6-8 (MER) | Kristi Kegerreis - Sr. - 10-7 (GSU)
5. Charlotte Bossy - So. - 7-14 (UTC) | Rebecca Kirven - So. - 13-4 (SAM) | Stephanie Cohen - So. - 7-8 (MER) | Ashley Hungerford - Jr. - 10-4 (GSU)
6. Jennifer Taylor - Fr. - 14-9 (UTC) | Lindsey Mallory - So. - 12-5 (SAM) | Sarah Hanna - So. - 4-11 (MER) | Jessica Fuller - Sr. - 7-7 (GSU)
1. Nurik-Singh - 8-2 (UTC) | Morgan-Mallory - 10-7 (SAM) | Lada-Bugge - 6-9 (MER) | Beavers-Maffett - 5-7 (GSU)
2. Hangstefer-Bossy - 3-3 (UTC) | Meiring-Kirven - 13-3 (SAM) | Weislander-Dias - 8-7 (MER) | Hungerford-Rolle - 8-3 (GSU)
3. Knizat-Green - 7-0 (UTC) | van Rensburg-Parkison - 7-8 (SAM) | Cohen-Hanna - 5-10 (SAM) | Kegerreis-Christine Caforio(Sr.) - 9-1 (GSU)
*Based on each team's most recent dual match