The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's tennis team grabbed a 5-2 win over Mercer on the UTC Tennis Courts today. The Lady Mocs won the doubles point and four singles matches on their way to the non-conference win. UTC is now 8-11 on the year while Mercer falls to 7-10 overall.
Junior Annie Green and senior Beata Knizat opened the day with an 8-5 win over Stephanie Cohen and Sarah Hanna at No. 3. Green and Knizat improved to 8-1 in doubles play on the year. Chattanooga closed out the doubles point with an 8-2 win at No. 2 by sophomores Charlotte Bossy and Emily Hangstefer.
Freshman Jenna Nurik pushed the lead to 2-0 when Jennifer Lada retired in the second set of the No. 1 match. Nurik leads the team with a 19-8 singles record at No. 1.
Hangstefer was next off the court with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Amalia Bugge at No. 3. It was her 15th singles win of the season. Sophomore Shaina Singh closed out the match with a 6-2, 6-4 win against Anna Weislander at No. 2. She is now 17-11 in singles play on the season.
Sophomore Charlotte Bossy also posted a win today. She defeated Cohen 6-5, 7-5 at No. 5 for her eighth win of the season.
The Lady Mocs return to Southern Conference action on Sunday when they host Georgia Southern. Action begins at 1:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) on the UTC Tennis Courts. Live scoring will be available on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 5, Mercer 2
1. Amalia Bugge/Jennifer Lada (MER) def. Jenna Nurik/Shaina Singh (UTC) - 8-6
2. Charlotte Bossy/Emily Hangstefer (UTC) def. Priscilla Dias/Anna Weislander (MER) - 8-2
3. Annie Green/Beata Knizat (UTC) def. Stephanie Cohen/Sarah Hanna (MER) - 8-5
1. Jenna Nurik (UTC) def. Jennifer Lada (MER) - 6-0, retired
2. Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Anna Weislander (MER) - 6-2, 6-4
3. Emily Hangstefer (UTC) def. Amalia Bugge (MER) - 6-2, 6-1
4. Priscilla Dias (MER) def. Beata Knizat (UTC) - 6-3, 6-4
5. Charlotte Bossy (UTC) def. Stephanie Cohen (MER) - 6-3, 7-5
6. Sarah Hanna (MER) def. Jennifer Taylor (UTC) - 6-2, 2-6, 7-5