UTC took the doubles point and got two-set wins at one and three, before dropping the other four singles matches. It is the fifth 4-3 loss for the Lady Mocs this spring.
With the win, Georgia Southern improves to 11-8 and 5-4 in the Southern Conference. Chattanooga drops to 8-12 and 3-6 in the conference.
In doubles play, Jenna Nurik and Shaina Singh defeated Ali Beavers and Allison Beaver by a comfortable 8-3 margin at No. 1 while Emily Hangstefer and Charlotte Bossy did the same at No. 2, winning 8-1.
In the singles portion of the match, the top half of the lineup continued to play well for the Lady Mocs. Hangstefer did not drop a game in her match with Natalie Maffett at three, and Nurik controlled play at No. 1, winning 6-2, 6-0. That left four singles still to play, and the match undecided.
Ashley Hungerford was the first to put the Eagles on the board, with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Beata Knizat at No. 5. But the first point for Georgia Southern was quickly followed by two more. Charlotte Bossy fell 6-3, 6-2 then Shaina Singh was defeated after a comeback attempt in the second set, 6-2, 7-5.
Tied at three apiece, the No. 6 singles would decide the match. Annie Green and Jessica Fuller went back and forth in a long first set. Fuller eventually pulled out the tiebreaker, 7-2, to take the first set and the momentum. She went on to win the second set 6-2 and claim the match for Georgia Southern.
The Lady Mocs' final home match of the season is Tuesday, April 13. They are set to take on Tennessee Wesleyan at 2 p.m. on the UTC Tennis Courts. The final match of the season is Friday, April 16 at Davidson.
Georgia Southern 4, Chattanooga 3
1. Jenna Nurik/Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Ali Beavers/Allison Beeler (GSU) - 8-3
2. Emily Hangstefer/Charlotte Bossy (UTC) def. Ashley Hungerford/Melanie Rolle (GSU) - 8-1
3. Kristi Kegerreis/Christine Caforio (GSU) def. Annie Green/Beata Knizat (UTC) - 8-5
1. Jenna Nurik (UTC) def. Ali Beavers (GSU) - 6-2, 6-0
2. Melanie Rolle (GSU) def. Shaina Singh (UTC) - 6-2, 7-5
3. Emily Hangstefer (UTC) def. Natalie Maffett (GSU) - 6-0, 6-0
4. Kristi Kegerreis (GSU) def. Charlotte Bossy (UTC) - 6-3, 6-2
5. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) def. Beata Knizat (UTC) - 6-2, 6-2
6. Jessica Fuller (GSU) def. Annie Green (UTC) - 7-6 (7-2), 6-2