Chattanooga was looking good early, leading 5-2 at No. 1 doubles and 6-3 in the No. 2 match. Furman stormed back in both contests to take the doubles point. The Paladins kept the momentum going in singles play, taking the first three matches in straight sets.
Freshman Diana Zora (Barrancabermeja, Columbia) pushed Jennifer Betts to three sets at No. 6. She lost the first 6-2, but came back in the second to win 6-4. They played a super-tiebreaker for the third set with Betts winning 11-9.
Junior Shaina Singh (Vancouver, B.C.) allowed UTC to avoid the shutout with her third-straight win at No. 4. She defeated Amanda Murray (6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)) for the Lady Mocs' lone point in the match.
UTC will be back in action on Wednesday, March 30, when they host Tennessee Wesleyan. Match time is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) on the UTC Tennis Courts and live scoring will be available on GoMocs.com.
Furman 6, Chattanooga 1
Mar 27, 2011 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
1. Margaret Boyette/Lauren Kline (FUR) def. Emily Hangstefer/Alexa Flynn (UTC) - 10-8
2. Amanda Murray/Michele Stanford (FUR) def. Jenna Nurik/Shaina Singh (UTC) - 9-7
3. Monica Arguello/Jennifer Betts (FUR) def. Charlotte Bossy/Diana Zora (UTC) - 8-2
1. Monica Arguello (FUR) def. Jenna Nurik (UTC) - 6-1, 6-1
2. Lauren Kline (FUR) def. Alexa Flynn (UTC) - 7-5, 7-5
3. Margaret Boyette (FUR) def. Emily Hangstefer (UTC) - 6-3, 6-2
4. Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Amanda Murray (FUR) - 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Michele Stanford (FUR) def. Charlotte Bossy (UTC) - 6-0, 6-1
6. Jennifer Betts (FUR) def. Diana Zora (UTC) - 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)