The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's tennis team locked up a first-round bye in the upcoming Southern Conference tournament with a 4-3 win over Davidson today. The Lady Mocs improved to 10-9 on the year and 5-3 in SoCon action. The Wildcats dropped to 4-16 overall and 0-7 in league action.
Chattanooga is currently fifth in the SoCon standings, trailing Samford (6-3) and ahead of Elon (5-4). With two matches left on the schedule, UTC holds the tiebreaker over the Phoenix thanks to a 5-2 win earlier in the year. The Lady Mocs host the SoCon Tournament on April 20-23 at the Champions Club.
Chattanooga took the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3. Sophomore Jenna Nurik (Roswell, Ga.) and junior Shaina Singh (Vancouver, B.C.) started things off with an 8-2 win in the top spot. The duo improves to 18-7 overall and 3-1 at No. 1 doubles.
Seniors Grace Robinette and Annie Green were back on the court at No. 3 after both had missed time due to injuries and illness. They got back to their winning form with an 8-6 victory to improve to 3-3 as a pair.
"I was really proud of the two seniors for clinching the doubles point," added head coach Jeff Clark. "They played well today and came up big when we needed them."
UTC closed out the match with three quick wins in singles play. Junior Charlotte Bossy defeated Elise Held (6-0, 6-1) at No. 5 while Nurik won in straight sets at No. 1. It was Bossy's 10th win of the year as she improved to 10-13 overall. Nurik has won two-straight and is 11-8 at No. 1 and 16-13 overall. Singh's win at No. 4 clinched the match, upping her record to 11-8 in the spring and 16-13 on the year.
"Jenna and Shaina both played well in singles and double today," continued Clark. "All of the SoCon matches are tough so we are always happy to get a conference win."
The Lady Mocs have posted their most SoCon wins since going 6-4 in 2004. Chattanooga has a chance to wrap up a winning season for the first time since 2003 if they can get one of their last two regular season matches.
"We have a lot to play for as the season winds down," concluded Clark. "We are looking at a winning record, both overall and in the conference. We are looking to finish the season strong as we head into the tournament."
The Lady Mocs host Samford for Senior Day on Wednesday, April 13. Match time is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) at the UTC Tennis Courts. The regular season finale is a trip to Appalachian State on Saturday, April 16.
Chattanooga 4, Davidson 3
Apr 10, 2011 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Jenna Nurik/Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Nisha Crouser/Brites Moniz-Soares (DAVIDSON) - 8-2
2. Alison Rauh/Stephani Synn (DAVIDSON) def. Alexa Flynn/Emily Hangstefer (UTC) - 9-7
3. Grace Robinette/Annie Green (UTC) def. Samantha Galainena/Katharine Dicconson (DAVIDSON) - 8-6
1. Jenna Nurik (UTC) def. Alison Rauh (DAVIDSON) - 6-4, 6-2
2. Stephani Synn (DAVIDSON) def. Alexa Flynn (UTC) - 7-5, 0-6, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Brites Moniz-Soares (DAVIDSON) def. Emily Hangstefer (UTC) - 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Samantha Galainena (DAVIDSON) - 6-0, 6-2
5. Charlotte Bossy (UTC) def. Elise Held (DAVIDSON) - 6-0, 6-1
6. Romina Clemente (DAVIDSON) def. Diana Zora (UTC) - 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)