The win today secures Chattanooga's first .500 or better season since 2003. The six SoCon wins are UTC's most since going 6-4 in 2004. Chattanooga will next host the 2011 SoCon Tennis Championships at the Champions Club on April 20-24.
UTC opened by taking the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2. Sophomore Jenna Nurik (Roswell, Ga.) and Shaina Singh (Vancouver, B.C.) improved to 19-8 as a doubles tandem, winning 8-5 at No. 1.
Sophomore Alexa Flynn (Memphis, Tenn.) kept the momentum going by taking the No. 2 match. She defeated Jennifer Ansari (6-1, 6-4) for her team-leading 18th singles win of the year.
Junior Emily Hangstefer (Signal Mountain, Tenn.) followed that up with a win at No. 3. Nurik lost at No. 1, but Singh clinched the team victory with her win at No. 4. Freshman Diana Zora (Barrancabermeja, Colombia) also posted a win at No. 6.
"I was really proud of the team for getting a hard-fought road win," stated head coach Jeff Clark. "We played really well in doubles and jumped on them quickly. Alexa and Emily carried that momentum over to singles and we closed out the season with a strong win."
Pairings and match times for the 2011 SoCon Championships will be announced on Monday. The Lady Mocs have one of the five byes and will play on Thursday, April 21. Check back to GoMocs.com for specific times and court locations.
Chattanooga 5, Appalachian State University 2
Apr 16, 2011 at Boone, N.C.
1. Jenna Nurik/Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Ellie Linsell/Blakeley Bean (ASU) - 8-5
2. Alexa Flynn/Emily Hangstefer (UTC) def. Jennifer Ansari/Gisela Fernandez (ASU) - 8-2
3. Amanda Cash/Jessica Thaggard (ASU) def. Annie Green/Grace Robinette (UTC) - 8-7 (7-5)
1. Ellie Linsell (ASU) def. Jenna Nurik (UTC) - 6-2, 6-3
2. Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Jennifer Ansari (ASU) - 6-1, 6-4
3. Emily Hangstefer (UTC) def. Jessica Thaggard (ASU) - 6-2, 6-0
4. Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Blakeley Bean (ASU) - 6-3, 6-2
5. Amanda Cash (ASU) def. Charlotte Bossy (UTC) - 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)
6. Diana Zora (UTC) def. Kim-Lea Dinh (ASU) - 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (12-10)
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ChattanoogaMocs, or on Twitter, www.twitter.com/GoMocs. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.