MOCS MEN’S BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK
Game No. 3 | Montreat at Chattanooga | McKenzie Arena | Nov. 16, 2013
Montreat Head Coach Lincoln Walters was a four-year letter winner at Chattanooga in the mid-to-late 90’s. He began his career in 1994-95 and closed out in 1997-98. Walters contributed to three Southern Conference South Division Championships, two SoCon Tourney titles and two NCAA Tournament appearances including the 1997 Sweet 16 run.
MOCS RECORD WHEN…
Chattanooga is now 92-1 against non-DI opposition, 2-0 vs. the Cavaliers. The all-time record moves to 1,195-981, 667-432 in the DI era (1978-present). The program is 369-106 in McKenzie Arena.
The Mocs lead the Southern Conference in four categories entering the game tonight. Here’s how they fared tonight (average entering game):
Scoring: 108 (98.5 ppg)
Blocks: 8 (7.0 bpg)
Steals: 20 (12.5 spg)
TO Margin: +16 (+12.0/gm)
Tonight is the 90th time Chattanooga has eclipsed the 100-point mark. It’s the second time this season with 119 in the season opener vs. Covenant. The last time the squad had multiple 100-point games in a season was 2008-09 with three: 108-67 over Tennessee Temple, 102-70 vs. Tennessee Wesleyan and 100-87 against Georgia Southern.
MARGIN OF VICTORY
The Mocs have won by 30 or more 98 times now. The opener was a 63-point win against Covenant, while tonight’s was 57, the ninth largest margin of victory in school history. It is the third time the Mocs have won by 50 or more in a season. The last time was 2011-12 when the team topped Warren Wilson by 52 (88-36), Spalding by 50 (98-48) and Hiwassee by 54 (95-41).
Chattanooga held a 47-25 advantage on the glass tonight with 19 offensive rebounds. The squad tallied 26 second chance points (5 for Montreat). The Mocs scored 55 of their 108 in the paint and recorded 41 points off 28 Montreat turnovers. The team had 20 steals for the first time since a school-record 22 in the season opener last year against Tennessee Temple.
- 15 points and 12 rebounds for his first double-double of the season, eighth career. He posted 15 points and 11 boards in the first half.
- Shot 6-8 from the floor, 1-2 3pt and 2-4 FT while adding two blocks in 23 minutes of playing time.
- Led the squad in scoring for the third consecutive game with 16. He shot 5-9 from the field and 6-7 at the line.
- New career high with five steals. That ties the school’s sophomore record done four other times.
- Had season highs of 12 points, seven rebounds and three steals. The rebounds and steals are career highs.
- Career-high eight rebounds.
- Nine points, five rebounds and three blocks in 18 minutes of play.