|2012 Complete Signing Class
"We are really excited to finalize the 2012 class today," said Filar. "All six of these individuals are great athletes and even better people to add to our Chattanooga volleyball family. They are going to bring a sense of confidence and leadership into our program, while understanding the importance of balancing academics and athletics. Throughout the process, we have told them that they are the foundation for building a championship tradition at Chattanooga."
Chason is a libero and defensive specialist that played at Greater Atlanta Christian School for head coach Kristy Shelton. The Alpharetta, Ga., native was a captain in her final two years and led the Spartans to a school-best 41-5 record and state runner-up finish in 2011. She holds career records at GACS in games played (380), digs (1,247) and wins (122), while being a two-time First-Team All-State honoree.
"Catherine was an athlete that I saw on my first recruiting weekend last February after coming to Chattanooga," said Filar. "She is an incredible individual and embodies all the core values that our program is about as a student and athlete. Foot speed and quickness allow her to cover a lot of ground at the libero position. She is going to be a very solid back-court player for us and brings in a strong serve."
As a member of A5 Volleyball, one of the premiere volleyball clubs in the southeast, Chason has competed as a libero and defensive specialist over the past four seasons, while further developing her skills in the back row. She aided the 17-under team as the starting libero to a second place finish at the USAV Nationals in 2011 and along the way has earned nine USAV Qualifier Medals in the open division.
Off the court, Chason was a member of the Beta Club, National Honor Society and Mission Club. She is scheduled to graduate with honors in May.
Rhinesmith competed for head coach Matt Bausch at Shakopee High School and earned four letters with the program. The Sabers have won four-straight Minnesota State Championships, where Rhinesmith played primarily as a right side hitter. The Shakopee, Minn., native was selected as the MaxPreps Player of the Week on Oct. 10, 2011.
"We knew that a primary focus for 2012 would be the setter position," said Filar. "We believe that we have found a hidden gem in Rachel. We are most excited about her potential as a setter because she is going to be able to focus on that position here. She is like a sponge in soaking up information and wants to learn how to become a better setter, and is willing to do whatever it takes to excel at the position."
In the club season, she participated for two years with the Mizuno Northern Lights Club team and has spent this club season playing with the Mizuno Minnesota 1 Club Volleyball program. Rhinesmith was a setter in a 6-2 offense, where she set in the back row and attacked as a front row player. Both club programs are among the best in the Midwest region each year.
"With her six-foot frame, she has an added presence at the net as a blocker," said Filar. "Rachel has a high-volleyball IQ and is a quick learner. She sets with great tempo and purpose and provides hitters balls that they can get after and attack."
Rhinesmith is a member of youth teaching youth, a program through the Shakopee School District, and has been a teacher's assistant in her school's science department.
Chattanooga completed its spring schedule on April 15 with its annual alumni match. The team along with the six new additions will come together in early August to begin preparations for the 2012 campaign.
Catherine Chason - L/DS - 5-7 - Alpharetta, Ga. (Greater Atlanta Christian)
Greater Atlanta Christian School
- Four-year starter and letter winner for head coach Kristy Shelton at GACS.
- Served as the Spartan team captain during junior and senior campaign.
- Helped lead team to a school best 41-5 record and State Runner-up finish in 2011.
- Holds all-time school records for games played (380), digs (1,247) and wins (122).
- Two-time First Team All-State in 2010 and 2011.
- All-State Honorable Mention in 2009.
- Named Gwinnett Daily Post "Super Six" Volleyball Player in 2010 and 2011.
- Three-time First Team All-Gwinnett County in 2009-11)
- Three-time All Area (2009-11).
- Recognized by PrepVolleyball.com as a Defensive Dandy or Dandy Lion from 2008-11.
- Competed with A5Volleyball as a libero and defensive specialist from 2007-11.
- Aided the 17-U team to a second place finish as the USAV Nationals in 20011.
- Earned nine USAV Qualifier Medals in the open division (2 gold, 6 silver, 1 bronze).
- Serves as a teacher's assistant for an art teacher at a local elementary school.
- Used her volleyball knowledge to instruct the A5 Volleyball 12-U teams
- Member of the Beta Club, National Honor Society and Mission Club.
- Graduated with honors from GACS.
Rachel Rhinesmith - S - 6-0 - Shakopee, Minn. (Shakopee High School)
Shakopee High School
- Four-year letterwinner for head coach Matt Busch at Shakopee High School.
- Helped lead the Sabers to four-straight Minnesota State Championships in 2008-11.
- Played as a right side hitter at SHS.
- Named MaxPreps Player of the Week on Oct. 10, 2011.
- Competed with the Mizuno Northern Lights Club Volleyball program in 2009-10.
- Participated for the Mizuno Minnesota 1 Club Volleyball program in 2011.