Chattanooga Basketball - Postgame Notes
College of Charleston at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena - Chattanooga, Tenn.
Monday - Jan. 17, 2011
- The Chattanooga Mocs pulled off a big 91-88 win over the College of Charleston in McKenzie Arena tonight...UTC improves to 11-8 overall and 7-0 in the Southern Conference...the Cougars fall to 12-6 overall and 5-1 in the SoCon.
- Chattanooga sits alone at 7-0 in the SoCon North, ahead of Western Carolina (4-2), Appalachian State (4-3), Samford (2-4), Elon (2-5) and UNC Greensboro (2-5)...the Mocs were last 7-0 in the league in the 2007-08 season.
- Tonight was the 26th meeting between the two schools with Charleston leading 15-11. The Cougars won all three meetings last year. This is the lone regular season meeting on the schedule between the two teams...the Mocs last win was in the finals of the 2009 SoCon Tournament, an 80-69 win in McKenzie Arena on March 9, 2009.
- Tonight was the 501st home game for UTC since moving to Division I in 1977-78...the Mocs are 401-100 (.800) as a DI team at home...341-89 (.793) in McKenzie Arena...207-56 (.787) in SoCon games at home and 180-47 (.793) in league games in the Roundhouse.
- Chattanooga is 636-383 (.624) since moving to Division I in 1977-78...in its 34th SoCon season, the Mocs are 342-184 (.650).
- Chattanooga has made five or more three-pointers in 44 straight games. That's the third longest active streak in the nation. VMI has the longest with 87 consecutive contests (through 1/13).
- Mocs started game 0-5 and fell behind 11-1...first FG was an Omar Wattad 3-pointer at the 16:22 mark...Mocs hit 14 of their next 19 shots from the field...including 7-8 from 3-pt. range to tied the game at 41 at the 6:16 mark on a DeAntre Jefferson score inside.
- Charleston started the game 14-20 from the field in the first nine minutes of the game, including eight of its first 11 shots from 3-pt. range...Cougars closed the game making five of their last 26 attempts from behind the arc.
- The Mocs led 53-46 at the half...UTC is 8-0 when leading at the break...the Mocs' 53 points re their second-most in a half this season...Chattanooga had 55 in the opening half in a 107-48 win over Reinhardt on Dec. 21.
- UTC out-rebounded the Cougars 36-30...the Mocs have won the battle of the boards in 12 of the last 13 games...that's after starting the season turning the trick just once in the first six.
- This is the first win of the year when a UTC opponent has scored more than 70 points...Chattanooga is 10-0 when holding opponents under 70 points, 1-8 otherwise.
- The Mocs shot a season-high 53.4% (31-58) from the floor and 86.4% (19-22) from the FT line.
- UTC was 6-6 from the FT line in the last minute of play.
- Chattanooga shot a season-high 45.5% (10-22) from 3-pt. range...UTC has hit 10+ threes in each of the last four games and eight times overall this season.
- UTC has 21 assists on 31 FGs...fourth time this season the Mocs have had 20+ assists.
- The Mocs outscored the Cougars 38-24 in the paint.
- Chattanooga's bench outscored Charleston's reserves 20-10.
- The Mocs are 8-1 in games where the score is within five points (leading or trailing) with five minutes left in the contest with wins over Kennesaw State (-1), Marshall (-2), Western Carolina (tied), at Elon (+3), at UNCG (+1), at The Citadel (+1), Samford (+3) and College of Charleston (+2). The lone loss was at home to Austin Peay (-4). UTC is 9-0 when leading with five to play regardless of the score differential.
Junior Keegan Bell - Bob Cousy Award Candidate
- Scored 12 points on 3-6 shooting, 2-4 from three-point range and 4-4 from the FT line.
- Tied a career-high with a team-high eight rebounds.
- Tied for game-high with eight assists...leads the SoCon with 6.3 apg.
Junior DeAntre Jefferson
- 15 points on 7-8 shooting, 1-2 from the FT line.
- Ninth double-figure game of the year.
- Played 22 minutes off the bench.
- 13 points on 6-6 shooting, 1-2 from the FT line in the first half.
- Grabbed five boards.
- Tied a season-high with a pair of assists.
Senior Jeremy Saffore
- Eight points on 3-6 shooting, 2-3 from the FT line.
- Tied a season-high for scoring set at Marshall on Nov. 20.
Head Coach John Shulman
- 116th win at UTC - 116-98 (.542) - 7th year.
- 61th SoCon regular season win at UTC - 61-52 (.540) - 7th year.
Junior Ricky Taylor
- 16 points on 7-12 shooting, 1-3 from 3-pt. range and 1-2 from the FT line.
- Six FGs from inside the arc is a career-high.
- Grabbed five boards.
- Eight-straight games scoring double figures...13 overall this season.
Junior Omar Wattad
- Game-high 27 points.
- Shot 7-16 from the field, 6-10 from 3-pt range and 7-7 from the FT line.
- Fourth straight game in double figures.
- Leads the team with 15.7 ppg...averaging 25.0 ppg in last four games, 20.6 ppg in SoCon play.
- One shy of a career-high with six boards.
- Added three assists.
- 24-43 (55.8%) from 3-pt. range over the last four games...40.9% on the year.