2011-12 CHATTANOOGA MOCS BASKETBALL PREVIEW
CHATTANOOGA (9-15/3-7) AT DAVIDSON (16-5/10-1)
Game 25 | Feb. 4, 2012 | 4 p.m. | Belk Arena (5,223)
Listen to "Voice of the Mocs" Jim Reynolds' call on ESPN 105.1 FM in Chattanooga, pregame show begins 30 minutes prior to game time. Live audio (free) available via MocsVision on GoMocs.com where you can find live stats link as well.
Video stream is available at davidsonwildcats.com ($5.95).
- 55th meeting with Davidson (32-22), 47th in regular season league play (27-19)...the two schools have never met outside of SoCon regular season or tournament play.
- The Mocs and Wildcats share the SoCon record of 10 tournament titles with West Virginia...the two have met four times in the SoCon title game with each winning two.
- Davidson is 16-5, leaders of the SoCon South Division at 9-1...De'Mon Brooks (15.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg) and Jake Cohen (13.9, 6.1) lead the Wildcats in the frontcourt...Nik Cochran (11.9, 2.7) and J.P Kuhlman (11.6, 4.1) are dangerous on the wings.
- The Wildcats are SoCon leaders in scoring offense (78.5), scoring margin (+9.7), free throw percentage (78.8), rebound margin (+6.6) and defensive rebound percentage (73.8).
- Davidson won the first matchup by one, 64-63, at UTC...Cochran hit one of two free throws with 1.2 remaining...Kuhlman had a game-high 16 for the Wildcats, while Ricky Taylor led the Mocs with 14...freshman Jared Bryant added 10 points and eight boards off the bench.
- Chattanooga wraps up brief road trip at Davidson Saturday then returns home for a two-game set. Seven games remain in the regular season with three on road (Davidson, App St. - 2/15 & Furman - 2/23) and four at home (Elon/UNCG - 2/9-11, The Citadel - 2/18 & Samford - 2/25).
- Senior Ricky Taylor (Brownsville, Tenn.) continues to climb the Mocs record book. He is now 8th on the DI era scoring list just eight points south of sixth (David Phillips - 1,157) with 1,149 points. He is also in the top 10 in field goals attempted (7th, 925), 3pt field goals made (T9th, 149), 3pt field goals attempted (6th, 420). Other potential top 10 lists for Taylor:
10, Phillips, 400
Taylor, 12, 383
10, Phillips, 272
Taylor, T16, 234
10, Casey Long, 367
Taylor, 17, 312
- The Mocs lead the SoCon in assists (15.3) and FG% defense (39.5). Senior captain Keegan Bell (Huntsville, Ala.) leads in assists at 6.6 per contest and assist-turnover ratio (2.3). For UTC team ranking and SoCon leaders see page five. Individual ranks are in the player notes on page four.
- UTC has received significant bench contributions in the eight contests surrounding the UNCG game where it had a 12-54 deficit to the Spartans. In those eight, the Mocs hold a 177-76 advantage, a +12.6 scoring margin. In last three games, Dontay Hampton (Chattanooga, Tenn.), Jared Bryant (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Ronrico White (Knoxville, Tenn.) have led the reserves. Hampton is averaging 10.0 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game over that span. Bryant (8.0, 5.7, 90.9% FG) and White (5.3, 3.0, 57.1% FG, 85.7% FT) are above average as well.
- UTC has limited 11 opponents to less than 40% FG this season (school record is 15 in 2004-05). 3 other opp shot between 40.0 & 40.3%.
- Mocs have not been beaten on the boards since Tennessee (1/2), a span of nine games while out-rebounding seven in that span (+6.2 margin).
- Keegan Bell's 158 assists this season in No. 7 on the Mocs' record list.
- Lance Stokes has made 16 straight FT & 18 of last 19 (94.7%).
- UTC is top 50 in the nation in FG% Def (35th), 3pt/game (34th), 3pt FG% Def (49th) and assists (33rd).
Keegan Bell (Huntsville, Ala.)
- Leads the SoCon in assists at 6.6 per game while ranking seventh nationally.
- Leads SoCon in assist/turnover ratio (2.3)...41st in the country.
- Made the 2012 Bob Cousy Award Watch List for second straight year...MVP of Dr Pepper Classic.
- Mocs career assist leader with 499...passed Tim Brooks (1992-93) and Wes Moore (1996-99) on a feed to Ronrico White with 8:12 left in the game at Kentucky...his 158 assists this season is 7th-best, one behind 6th-place, his 2009-10 season with 159.
- Tied for 7th all-time in 3pt FG Made with 153 with Omar Wattad, four ahead of Ricky Taylor (149) who is tied for 9th with Isaac Conner (1996-99)...Brandon Born (1992-95) is sixth with 159.
- 3rd in career 3pt FG Attempted with 506...Keddric Mays (2006-07) is second with 516, while Stephen McDowell (2008-09) is first with 611.
- 762 career points (854 including Vanderbilt numbers - 594 assists combined).
- Eight career 20-point games...33 games with double digit scoring numbers...has led the team in scoring thrice this season, 11 times in his career.
- 56 career five-plus assist games including 19 this season...10 or more assists nine times, four in 2011-12.
- Made four or more threes 17 times in two-plus seasons.
Z. Mason (Nashville, Tenn.)
- SoCon Ranks: 20th in rebounding (5.2).
- SoCon Ranks (league games only): 5th in reb. (7.6), 7th in defensive reb. (5.3) and 11th in offensive reb (2.2).
Ricky Taylor (Brownsville, Tenn.)
- Graduated with a degree in accounting on December 17, 2011...then immediately drove to Lexington, Ky., as the Mocs took on Kentucky that evening where he had a career-best five assists.
- Scored 1,000th career point in win over Longwood on a 3pt bucket...18th UTC student-athlete in the DI era (1977-78) to accomplish it...currently eighth in scoring (1,149)...four shy of Stanford Strickland (1981-84) in seventh at 1,153 and eight from David Phillips (1997-00) in sixth with 1,157.
- SoCon Ranks: 13th in scoring (13.0), 4th in 3pt% (42.2) and 10th in FT% (77.3).
- 12th at UTC in FGM with 383, 12 behind Johnny Taylor (1996-97) with 395...looking to become 11th student-athlete in DI era with 400 FGM...7th in FGA with 925, two away from former teammate Nicchaeus Doaks (2006-09) with 927.
- Tied for 9th all-time in 3pt FG Made at 149 with Conner...four behind Bell and Wattad (153) in seventh...6th in 3pt FGA (420), trailing Wes Moore (1996-99) in fifth with 455.
- Led the Mocs in each of the last two seasons in free throws made (151 total) and leads this year with 75...tied for 16th with Gerald Wilkins (1983-85) with 234 in his career...Ashley Champion (2003-04) is 15th with 237.
- Career FT% (75.0) is fifth among those who have shot 300 or more.
- 64 double-digit scoring nights for his career, 18 in 2011-12...10 career 20-pt games...led team in scoring eight times this season, 25 times in career.
Omar Wattad (Johnson City, Tenn.)
- Second in the SoCon in 3pt FG made per game (3.0) ranking 18th nationally.
- Other SoCon ranks: 12th in scoring (13.1 ppg) and 13th in 3pt% (38.0) which is 47th-best in nation.
- Made 100th trey against Warren Wilson...tied for 7th in career treys made with Bell (153)...Born is 6th with 159.
- Scored his 700th career point at Elon...now stands at 745 (821 including Georgetown stats).
- 25 points at Elon topped his 24 points in season opener at IU...three 20-point efforts in 2011-12, 10 career...36 career double-digit scoring games, 15 in 2011-12.
Drazen Zlovaric (Novi Sad, Serbia)
- SoCon Ranks: 6th in rebounding (6.8), 5th in defensive boards (5.4) and 7th in FG% (51.9).
- Game-high 10 boards in 1st collegiate action in more than a year at Indiana.
- 14 double-figure scoring nights...7 or more rebounds in 14 of 24 games...six double-digit rebounding games with four double-doubles.
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ChattanoogaMocs, or on Twitter, www.twitter.com/GoMocs. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.